Fuse identification

60A KR 250VAC4 BS1361 1947 Class Q 440VAC4 BS888 1952

Any ideas?

I'm currently assuming it counts as BS88. It is a REC fuse for a single phase domestic supply.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Obviously, that read be BS88 1952.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Is there any reason why it can't conform to both standards?

Reply to
Guy King

yes, he does seem con fused.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't know the standards well enough to know if they are contradictory. I just want to know what to write on the certificate!

Right now, it is BS88...

Christian

Reply to
Christian McArdle

For that purpose I'd put BS 1361 (Type 2) 'cos that's the usual type of supplier's fuse and won't raise any eyebrows. I presume it has smooth round end-caps with no projecting blades or bolt lugs(?). It's quite old, that fuse, have you thought about treating the cut-out to a new one?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes. It has smooth end caps, like a standard HRC fuse. Presumably it isn't up to me to treat it to a new fuse. That is, surely, the responsibility of the electricity company?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On 30 Nov 2006 00:03:13 -0800 someone who may be "Christian McArdle" wrote this:-

BS88 fuses are HRC fuses, but they have lugs on the end for fitting in the holder. What you have is undoubtedly something like

Presumably it

Yes.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yes of course, but I was assuming you were taking, shall we say, a DIY approach to performing a supply disconnection. Perhaps I'm jumping to an unfair conclusion...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Well, I did have to remove the fuse in order to read it. There was no seal on it. I suppose that might have something to do with the time I replaced the consumer unit, though...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

the certificate. In fact, I just got a call that they have already signed off the loft conversion. They want me to post them the electrical installation certificate on afterwards!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's OK then (I didn't read the next bit).

In case you've not seen it you can check your local DNO's policy on such things here:

Andy Wade

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:09:06 -0000 someone who may be "Christian McArdle" wrote this:-

And for my area, Scottish Power, I get the following bullshit:

"At SP EnergyNetworks, we are focussed on improving the integrity, security and performance of the network - ensuring effective, efficient delivery of your electricity.

"We cover a vast area, connecting to major power stations, managing over 80,000 substations and more than £2.5 billion worth of equipment. Indeed, the network we manage and maintain - over 115,000 kilometres - would stretch almost three times around the world.

"Delivering 40,000 GWh of electricity each year to over 3 million customers is a big responsibility and one we take very seriously. Operating, maintaining and repairing the equipment and networks that connect you to your electricity is a complex task involving a wide range of activities."

Reply to
David Hansen

Scottish & Southern? So you do. If that's how helpful they get then they deserve to get their main fuses pulled by meddling amateurs...

[snip]

But item 6 in the menu on the right leads you to:

"Occasionally customers require a temporary connection(s) to be made available, for a site hut for example. This work is fully chargeable to the customer and will be provided with a number of restrictions such as the type of earthing provided. Temporary disconnections can also be carried out but again this is a fully chargeable activity.

"Where temporary disconnection is required to allow work to be carried out on a customers? own internal equipment, a two pole switch can be fitted which will permit customers to arrange for their electrical contractor to carry out the disconnection and reconnection by use of the switch. We can be contacted during normal working hours to discuss the options and to provide a quotation."

Whereas in the EDF Networks area we get a 3-page PDF:

"If you require EDF Energy?s electrical connection to a property to be temporarily deenergised, for example, to allow work to go ahead safely on a customer?s electrical installation, you must initially contact the company that supplies power (ie, the company to whom bills are paid).

"Because of EDF Energy?s statutory obligations, under the Health and Safety at Work Act, Electricity Act, Utilities Act, the Electricity at Work Regulations and the Electricity Safety Quality and Continuity Regulations, EDF Energy is not able to permit customers, electricians or any other parties to remove meter seals, or operate or work upon, distribution or metering equipment owned or operated by EDF Energy.

"Primarily, EDF Energy has a duty under section 3 of the Health and Safety at Work Act to protect persons from danger from its undertakings. EDF Energy does not believe it can discharge its duty of care if it allows uncontracted parties to operate the cut-out fuse, exit point isolation devices, or any other distribution or metering equipment owned or operated by EDF Energy.

"Once a request for de-energisation has been made by either the customer, or person undertaking work on behalf of the customer, the appointed Electricity Supplier will instruct either the Meter Operator, or the relevant distribution company, ie EDF Energy, to deenergise the premises. In the case of fuse-isolated Low Voltage supplies de-energisation will ordinarily be undertaken by the Meter Operator.

"Alternatives to seeking de-energisation and re-energisation of the main supply via the appointed Electricity Supplier may exist. Some Electricity Suppliers offer the fitting of customer operable isolators (involving a short duration disconnection to the customer?s installation) on the customer?s side of the meter, i.e. ?load-side?. This enables the customer?s installation to be made dead at the electrician?s convenience, without the need to have the main supply de-energised, and avoids the need for repeat visits. EDF Energy recommends that customers and electricians enquire with a range of Electricity Suppliers to confirm whether they offer this type of added value convenience service.

"Depending on the type of service offered by the supplier, the customer operable isolator may be provided by the Electricity Supplier, or they may agree to connect the electricity supply from the electricity meter into an isolator provided by the customer, or customer?s electrician. In such circumstances ?load side? isolators would not belong to, or be the responsibility of, EDF Energy unless explicitly agreed and explicitly labelled by EDF Energy as EDF Energy?s property.

"At this time EDF Energy, as a distribution company, does not offer customer operable ?loadside? isolator installation services for fitting to existing installations. The company is considering whether its current de-energisation arrangements can be improved. However, a number of aspects, including statutory obligations, civil and commercial law, ownership of ?load-side? isolators and consent from affected parties, such as Electricity Suppliers, Meter Operators and Meter Providers, will need to be taken into consideration."

Reply to
Andy Wade

Nice link. Thank you

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Wade saying something like:

Seems to be summed up by.. "We'd prefer it if you didn't, but there might be a blind eye if you do. Unless you really, really, really want a switch."

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 17:21:38 +0000 someone who may be Andy Wade wrote this:-

has no menu on the right that I can see.

Reply to
David Hansen