Fuse differences

The lighting circuit fuse in my fuse box went. I had a spare 5 amp fuse=20 so I put it in - it all works fine. However looking in B&Q I noticed=20 that the fuse box fuse they were selling was =A32.98 or something whereas= =20 they were selling "normal" fuses 5 for 99p. Am I missing somethig here?=20 What's the difference?

Thanks

--=20 John Kelly

Remove dimspam if replying by mail

Reply to
John Kelly

Size?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Hi

Plug top fuses are to BS1362.

CU cartridge fuses are more likely to BS1361, High Rupture Capacity (HRC).

I don't have access to the standards, but a quick google indicates that the breaking capacity of BS1362 is about 6kA and BS1361 is about 16.5kA.

So it depends whether you are on top of a substation or not, but you should replace your fuse with the correct one.

If the prospective fault current at the CU exceeds 6kA then in the event of a fault your fuse may explode, and secondly the fault may take out the service head fuse. If you're in a rural setting on the end of long bits of string on sticks it will generally make no real difference.

B&Q are ripping you off - Maplin:

79p

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks for the link - a visit later I think.

Cheers.