Funny-shaped pipe under the bath

My plumber has fitted the waste pipe under the bath plug so that i

incorporates a "U"-shaped section. My boyfriend reckons this i undesirable as it means that old water will sit there. I wonder i this is a necessary part of the plumbing, like the U-bend under sink?

Any answers would be much appreciate

-- Totally clueless

Reply to
Totally clueless

If you like sewer smells you can take it out. All wastes need a trap to stop the sewer gas returning up the pipe.

Reply to
dennis

If you use the bath every so often the old water in this bend will be better than the smells coming up the pipe. Swap the boyfriend.

Reply to
John

Is your boyfriend known as Half-pint?

Reply to
judith

Your name says it all!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Indeed. Its to drown the rats when they crawl up from the sewers.

Without it, they might be pointing their beady eyes at you from under the bath plug and watching you undress..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, I always ensure the bathplug is in place before removing my trousers, just to avoid any risk of that happening, and thereby neatly avoiding any requirement for one of those pesky u-shaped bits of piping.

David

Reply to
Lobster

=================================== It's worth remembering that many bath / basin wastes don't go directly to a sewer. Many go into an open hopper (which may be 8 or 10 feet up in the air) which in turn discharges into a gulley which is trapped to prevent sewer gases escaping. In these cases the main effect of the bath / basin trap is little more than draught-proofing.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

On Springwatch last night a mouse was filmed gaining access to the roof via the hopper discharge so I think the modesty plug is still required.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

=================================== But as far as we know the mouse didn't have BO!

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Listen mate, our bathroom waste faces east and we live in Dundee. In the middle of winter when the Easterly comes straight off the steppes you need all the draught proofing you can get!

Speaking of funny pipes, the waste from our bath (been turned around since the last one by the looks) runs under the bath to the cast iron waste, It has a roughly 30 degree elbow in it meaning it doesn't take the direct route, it only just fits inside the bath panel. Plastic pipe, glued joints. I reckon whoever did it didn't have a straight connector.

Reply to
Peter Ashby

You might jest - a friend had a rat up though the toilet u-bend mid-evacuation.

I suggested a bleach block, and it hasn't happened since - cause or coincidence, I'm not sure.

Reply to
Rob

On Tue, 29 May 2007 12:14:20 GMT someone who may be Cicero wrote this:-

FSVO many. I suspect that the number of 1930s houses with open hoppers is diminishing as plumbing us upgraded to something more suitable for the 21st century.

Reply to
David Hansen

================================== Any statistics? Or just your opinion?

There are plenty of hoppers available from ordinary suppliers.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

More likely because he hasn't crapped since, owing to sudden chronic constipation....

david

Reply to
Lobster

On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:15:26 GMT someone who may be Cicero wrote this:-

My opinion.

Single pipe systems have been standard for decades. Some those houses which were built with two pipe systems have been converted (often without the easy bend at the bottom of the stack, but we'll ignore that for the moment).

Useful for drainpipes, if one wants to use them though there are far better ways of joining two drainpipes.

Reply to
David Hansen

================================== I think you're trying to elevate nit-picking into an art form.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

That is what you want, the water to sit there and prevent sewer gases coming up through the drain hole. This works exactly the same as any U-bend.

Reply to
soup

Yeah - very ****ing funny - we all have to start somewhere in terms o

expertise - so glad that you all remembered that... But what about th shower screen issue which was, in fact, the question that I' posted?????

-- Totally clueless

Reply to
Totally clueless

Erm, this is the first post in which you mentioned bath screens.

Reply to
John Rumm