fun with a stanley knife

Rabbit skin glue has a few drawbacks, but its big advantage is retaining flexibility once set - so it's popular for artists or work with fabrics. It's also the ingredient in gesso for sculptors or gilders.

"Hide" or "Scotch" glue is made from the trimmed scraps of hides but mainly cartilage or tendon. It's not made from hooves or horns - it could be, but they'd take far too long to render down. It used to be made as bricks or "biscuits" than needed to be broken up before soaking and heating, but these days it's all "pearl" glue that is quicker to soak.

Hooves were granulated and went for either case-hardening compounds (before the cyanide processes) or as garden fertiliser.

Fish glue is made from the cartilage of non-boney fish (sharks or dogfish) and sometimes from the skins of larger boney fish. It has a higher tack on first contact than hide glue. With Victorian chemistry it was also possible to make a cold fish glue that stayed liquid, but this wasn't possible for hide until fairly recently.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Owain" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net:

It doesn't have to be a wound...

Once, during my career in teaching, I was advised that a child would be absent as he had a problem with his eye. His mother had administered eye drops. You can guess the rest!

I understand the nursing staff in Minor Injuries were *distinctly* unimpressed.

In Days of Old, two new products came out in tubes at about the same time. One was Deep Heat Rub for aching backs. The other was Evo-Stik. You can guess the rest of that one too.

Reply to
Ian White

I thought that was Red Dwarf, maybe I'm confused.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On 20 Dec 2004 18:12:33 GMT, Ian Stirling strung together this:

Now you mention it, you could be right. Most probably both.

Reply to
Lurch

I thought it might have been in 'meltdown', set on waxworld, a speech by Rimmer to the 'troops'. (an assortment of historical and fictional animated waxworks, fighting an assortment of evil waxworks.)

It would have made some sense, as red-riding-hood may indeed have been on one of the armies.

However, a quick read over the script doesn't show any really close scene. And 'chin the bitch' is all over google as a "Dog Soldiers" quote.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On 21 Dec 2004 12:13:44 GMT, Ian Stirling strung together this:

Does ring a bell, I shall watch all 8 series' until I hear it!

Reply to
Lurch

Wasn't the Red Dwarf scene a parody of the Dog Soldiers scene.

Reply to
BigWallop

Might have been, I will ask SWMBO, she is the RD fan...

The original is here:

John Rumm