Fully Electric Car available soon

No, its just an utterly over engined car - 4 liter superharged with an auto box.

Design from the 90's actually :-)

And built for luxury, not fuel consumption.

Typical figures suggest that a small equivalent 100bhp 5 door town car - something like a Fiesta..is replicable with about 50Kwh for 200 miles range.

At 50mph average, an average drain of 12.5kw. About 16.7bhp.

If one thinks it might do 6 times that power to do 120mph continuously, then its got 20 minutes 'in the tank' - or about 67 miles 'in the tank' One third of the fuel consumption. I think that is probably about right.

I think that is very reasonable. Anyone who has actually really stirred a car around knows that at the best, you can use full power about 70% of the time, the rest is braking for the next corner..unless you have a car geared to achieve max power at max speed and hit the autobahn..

One of the major reasons that diesels are so mpg efficient is that they are most efficient at low throttle settings...petrol tends to be far less so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good CD and state of the art engine please.

Just an awful plot of stuff like aircon, supercharger, Getrag box and torque converter, hanging off it.And tryes to absorb the 380- bhp.

The point was not that its vile on fuel consumption, but how MUCH that consumption is a function of how its driven. My previous XK8, as opposed to the XKR (only difference is the supercharger, and even fatter tyres) would if drivcen never more than 70 and ceraflly, turn in as much as

27mpg. The XKR only ever managed 24..there is a LOT of rolling resistance on tyres designed to corner a 2 ton car at 1g..

I used to be able to get better than 50mpg out of a 1970's spitfire

1300, driven carefully and below 60mph. Not that I ever did that more than once, when 2" of snow on the ground necessitated it.

Todays fat soft tyres and larger than needed engines (makes for more frictional losses at lower power) are very much against the economy.

Under about 55mph the CD makes very little odds.

Leccy cars will score because they can be optimised for whatever driving speed you choose, efficiency wise. They use nothing apart from cooling fans when stationary, and instantaneous fuel consumption is as simple to display as a ammeter in the dashboard :D. Add in regenerative braking and you claw back quite a bit more as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

However, I was not talking about energy efficiency. I was talking about pollution levels and the fact that electric cars produce around three times as much as an IC engine.

32% is average for modern cars and that is what electric vehicles should be compared with, as it is new car buyers who will choose which technology is used.

The majority of the generating capacity is still in the older plant.

If electric cars are going to sell in volume, they will have to compete on cost, which means that most will use conventional traction batteries for a very long time yet.

The data was about six months old, but you would have to snip it, as it showed that electric vehicles have about the same overall efficiency as a petrol car, which gives no reason to accept the higher levels of pollution involved in powering them.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Delusional.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

"nightjar .uk.com>"

THEY DO NOT!!! Read again. Don't go on outdated myths.

Nope 25%.

It is gradually being renewed, do those figures are false as wehn EVs come in, in big way the new effuicient and "cleaner" plant will be almost in place.

The Tesla competes on cost. It is a Porsche type of car, which out performs and costs the same.

You just made that up, and it is plain you are unaware of battery and power generation efficiency and pollution cleaning advances.

They DO NOT. And those figures do take into account the Tesla which power management software gets far more out of a battery.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You just made that up. I actually have a Prius and the pads are like new, as they rarely get used.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Plenty of pads for sale online. Must be upsetting for these companies not to actually be able to sell them, then.

Interestingly, a few articles about brake failure on the Prius, too, many of which the dealers can't reproduce and won't repair. I'd be afraid, if I was you. Or near you.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

It is still the basic XJ6 from the '60s. Later Jags are a great step forward with lightweight construction involving ally body parts.

And supercharging is simply a brute force way to power - it always results in worse consumption than an equivalent normally aspirated engine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they decide not to fit vast tyres etc. And of course you don't need too much heating or cooling which comes nearly free on an IC engine.

Trouble is luxury cars like this are bought by people who don't care about fuel consumption - and are unlikely to buy an electric car unless it matches it in all ways. So sumptuous (and heavy) interior, lots of sound proofing including double glazing to keep extraneous noise out. 5 kW heating and equivalent air-con so you don't have to wait for them to take effect. Etc etc. All of which will not help the range of a battery car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The reason could be they're so slow and unsporting to drive they're always driven gently. And only used in towns, so mileage is low.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

[snip further lies]
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You made all that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard it is still kaka. An IC engine so kaka.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard, it comes free? Nothing is free. Tut, tut.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard, they are great fun to drive. That is their appeal, beside just about every other aspect of it. Tut, tut.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sad but true.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That only solves a part of the problem. You then need a recharging point that can deliver the 100s or 1000's of amps required to take advantage of the fast charge rate.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's right: I was referring to the same contributor who thought a brittle, hard-to-work and expensive material was more appropriate than plywood as a temporary former for moulding plaster.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Chav, not insoluable.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well that contributor is a total pillock.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel