Fugenboy

Steve Walker

Yes, they're brilliant.

It's odd to be recommending a product that costs a tenner (a tenner!) for something so obviously cheap, but they just do a better job than anything else I've tried.

If anyone knows how to clone them out of a suitable plastic, I'm all ears. The thick flexible plastic lids off Anchor butter aren't bad though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And whats wrong with the wet little finger?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Recently saw a JML branded copycat of this in Homebase - comes with four applicators and a quite nifty looking sealant removing tool (a sharp loop-shaped blade set in a handle) for £10.

Quite tempted but not sure of the composition of the applicators and hence the quality.

HTH Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Ok, next time I'm passing a modellers shop i'll nip in and a quire a small sheet of plastic at £2.00 and make some. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Indeed they are. However if buying again I would get the £15 set that also has a narrow tool - it would make getting behind taps etc much simpler!

Reply to
John Rumm

Not even in the same league! These give you a choice of bead sizes and shapes, nice sharp edges, no mess, and no titting about with masking tape. Watch the video on the site - it really does work like that!

Reply to
John Rumm

I'm still waiting for Spouse to test his! Must remind him ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Probably not impossible if you can find the correct sort of material about 5mm thick, and get the correct edge profile and bevel.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nah! I'll stick to the wet finger method because as far as I can see that tool will leave a thin trace behind on the surface, so in effect a wet finger then a damp cloth will suffice.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No it doesn't, that's exactly why they are so good and why you're missing the point as to what these gadgets are for. Honestly, you can't rubbish them till you've tried them! (Have you noticed how nobody here who's used one has said they are a waste of time?)

By the way, FYI the original actual 'fugenboy', which is what I've got (it's sold by Screwfix) looks inferior to the Plumbworld one, which unlike mine has notches etc which make it look more versatile.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Are you sure it won't leave a thin residue? i'd of thought it would only work on glass like surface. What about the textured type worktop. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Lobster wrote: (Have you noticed how

I have - so I've just ordered one! I shall blame you if it doesn't work!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, even those. Go buy one!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Trust me - they're brilliant. Search out the *VIDEO* on plumbworld on how to use them. I, like another poster, have the original fugenboy kit from Screwfix - the plumbworld ones do look more practical.

The video taught me one thing - I was using it the wrong way around - basically if you draw it to you then the bevelled edge should be away from you, if you know what I mean.

Try it - you'll wonder why you ever ate silicon in the past.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I bet I'm tighter fisted than you. But these things _work_.

I can't actually bring myself to say "A few squares of plastic are worth

10 quid", but they do the job.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

What about the lid of a tupperware or small storage box, eg:

I'd cut a square out, cut the cutouts with an angle grinder and new disc then finish the edges with sandpaper.

Maybe they're a softer plastic to cope with textured surfaces, in which case a silicone spatula might be better.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

post in my sent folder. It was a mistake! It shouldn't have gone to the NG at all. I was supposed to be an email to my son !

I was wondering why he hadn't responded.

Roy

Reply to
RzB