Fuel for cigarette lighters = petrol?

I got a small can of cigarette lighter fuel (the liquid stuff) to use as a solvent to dissolve the adhesive used in items like foam "sticky pads".

In the can of lighter fuel it refers to "petrol lighters".

Does this mean that for my purpose I could have simply used some orinary car petrol?

Or is lighter fuel made of a different composition to car petrol?

Reply to
Joe Smith

: In the can of lighter fuel it refers to "petrol lighters".

Are you sure that it doesn't say "petroleum ether"?

----- Richard Schultz snipped-for-privacy@mail.biu.ac.il Department of Chemistry, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel Opinions expressed are mine alone, and not those of Bar-Ilan University

----- And when I found the door was shut, I tried to turn the handle, but --

Reply to
Richard Schultz

Lighter fuel is more refined than car petrol, but you can use normal petrol as a solvent as well of course. Paraffin is also a good solvent for adhesives, along with liquid butane, propane etc. etc.

Reply to
BigWallop

Put simply, yes. Petrol is commonly used as a cleaning fluid. For occassional cleaning purpose, it is more convenient as lighter fluid than a

2l minimum purchase of unleaded into a sealed container.

For the purpose intended, the differences are negligible.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Liquid butane and propane eh?

Why do you persist in posting utter crap about things which you really don't understand?

Reply to
Grunff

STFU!!!! Pedantic old git!!!! If you don't understand it, then it's wrong? Then you should do more research on things used as solvents.

Reply to
BigWallop

BigWallop on Thursday 21 July 2005 14:55 in message said like:

AFAIK butane, propane etc. are used a propellants in aresol adhesives not as ingredients per se

also lighter petrol wont contain all the additives of car petrol that help keep the engine clean etc. (and carcinogens like Benzene) so I'd stick with lighter petrol as you will probably breathe quite a bit in if you are squirting it about.

Reply to
teaspoon

You're an idiot, and you don't know when to quit.

Reply to
Grunff

OK then. Bye Now!!!! Don't let the door hit your arse as you leave. :-) LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

You like working under high pressure in the cold?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Butane and propane are gaseous on this planet. Unless you're planning to put the items in question actually inside the pressurised container.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Butane is liquid on a fair proportion of the planet.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Everyone seems to be taking this the wrong way. I mean a squirt of butane or propane from the can on to a stained item can help to dissolved and clean the stain off.

Why the hell does everyone take things in the purely scientific scheme in here. Things don't have to be broken down to the science of their workings all the time, and it is mostly sufficient to make a statement that will work without having to go into the pure science of how the stain is actually created in the fibres of the item all the time.

Advice on things that work, as long as it's safe advice, is what this group is all about. Why are all you scientist not doing some research work during the day or night anyway? I think it's because you're all "know it alls" and no one will work alongside you all.

A little squirt of from a can of butane on to a stain can help in removing it. I know this works because I've used it on many occasions. I've never had to take the item in to a pressure chamber so I can make the butane or propane stay as a liquid, I've never had to because a simple little squirt from a can has always been enough.

Now please, get a real life all of you. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Petrol has additives - lighter fuel is pure petroleum distillate.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If we had a life, do you think we'd be talking to you?

Reply to
PC Paul

Leaving all that aside, how does one use propane or butane as solvents, given that they are actually gases unless they are compressed in a cylinder thereby rendering them liquid? When you open the cylinder tap, they emerge as gases.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

My point exactly. Thanks for that PC Paul. :-)) Someone with a bit sense at last. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

So you've never used the ice crystals which form as a stain remover either then? When you do, get back to me and tell me your scientific findings please. Remember though, I mark down for spelling errors and not showing the full working properly. :-) LOL

Does it really have to stay liquid for years to be used a simple cleaning solvent? Well I never.

Reply to
BigWallop

The message from Grunff contains these words:

I've used liquid butane as a solvent for gum before now. Works fine if you're quick enoughl.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Rob graham" contains these words:

If you pour 'em out into a jar they'll stay liquid for some time, merrily boiling away as they absorb energy from the surroundings to achieve their latent heat of evaporation. During this stage it's quite possible to use them as liquid solvents, and very effective they can be, too. You can even use 'em on a rag, provided it's not warm, and of course, the surface you're cleaning will have to be cold too - but it soon will be anyway.

I used to spend happy hours wasting the family's supply of Camping Gaz like this as a kid.

Reply to
Guy King