Fruity tangent type thought - floorboards

Ronald Raygun ( snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain) wibbled on Tuesday 11 January

2011 17:39:

S'OK I knew what you meant :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ronald Raygun ( snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain) wibbled on Tuesday 11 January

2011 17:48:

Not thinking that bit through...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Because the retain some semblance of airtightness when they shrink...

No harm, but loads of extra work obviously.

If doing a quantity, I would be tempted to cut them on a table saw.

Reply to
John Rumm

No? Feeble attempt at a triple pun. Sorry if too far fetched.

1) PAR -> par 2) flooring -> course (something you walk on) 3) the norm -> par for the course
Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Ronald Raygun ( snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain) wibbled on Wednesday 12 January 2011 01:53:

Hehe.

Sorry - work takes 12 hours out of the day inc travelling so I'm dead.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suppose shrinking T&G might prevent the passage of smoke better than shrinking lap joints.

Though in a lap joint the gap around the base of the pole might be a bigger concern ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

use shims of thin ply glued to the joist tops

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pull it all up and start again.

Friend had a 70s place with a chipboard kitchen floor which squeaked & moved. During various small scale renovations we attempted to screw it down better and replace bits allowed to get sodden by previous owners but it never really helped. Finally, when he ripped the entire kitchen out, up came the floor en masse to be replaced. New chipboard and it was fine after.

There were occasional brick piers under the joists where the beams had been bedded into cement which probably meant the joists were undersized (tho only about 8' span.) The cement had long crumbled in places so these were re-packed but I think the new chipboard made more of a difference.

Reply to
Scott M

I remember going under the floor in a friend's house in Harrow and discovering why the livingroom floor moved so much during crowded parties - the pier in the centre had been toppled over at some point. It was right in line with the gas pipe - it looked as though it'd been done some time during construction and been like that for decades. Which was why we left it - nothing much was moving further than it'd already moved, so we left well alone.

Reply to
Skipweasel