Frozen overflow

What is going to be the best way to thaw out a frozen overflow pipe? I guess that it has been dripping slightly so in current temperature has a core of ice running through it. It comes from the header tank in the loft.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Use hot water if the said pipe is within easy reach.

Reply to
BobH

I can get to the outside fairly easily - it is a bungalow - but the bit in the loft maybe harder. Then again if the loft is insulated then that bit may not be frozen. Perhaps give it a try.

Reply to
Andrew May

In message , Andrew May writes

Fix the valve in header tank Wait for warmer weather.

Reply to
bert

If it still passes water, hot water, otherwise a blowlamp or hot air gun

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your header tank shouldn't be overflowing in the first place.

The float valve should be set to shut off the supply well below the level of the overflow outlet in the tank.

michael adams

michael adams

generally te coldest will be the bit outside: in the loft stick a hit air heater near the end of it, if doing it from outside don't help

Alternatively if you have a leaky ball valve fix that and you wont need the overflow, or simply flush a loo every hour.

SWMBO has been surfing the weather nerd sites: theres weeks of this still to come.

I must try and start the camper laid up for the winter as well and get the batteries up to reasonable temps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The valve could be fine, but there's a dead squirrel floating about, knocking against the ball every now and then causing the overflow :)

Reply to
Gazz

who's there? A dead squirrel. Odd. I thought the point about dead squirrels was that they were dead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But make sure its a metal pipe first, some strange installations around.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's a fairly standard 1960 bungalow. Not mine. A neighbours. I was hoping to get it cleared so it could overflow until she can get it fixed. But it looks like it may be cold for a while.

Reply to
Andrew May

A heating element attached to the pipe might do the trick.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

DHW header tank or CH? I didn't mind the dead mouse in the bottom of our DHW header tank but a dead squirrel is pushing it a bit. How did it get in there is the tanks have a proper Bye Law 30 kit and insulation etc?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fix the float valve or whatever is causing it to overflow and wait for warmer weather?

Reply to
YAPH

Or even an angle grinder.

Of course, WD-40 is specifically designed for that purpose... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine