Frost damage to water butt feed pipe

For many years I've used a length of 22mm plastic pipe to feed a water butt. Despite freezing solid on several occasions (sufficient to push the end connectors out) it's never failed. Last year I installed a second water butt, fed using a similar pipe, but that one has failed catastrophically over the winter in a sort of spiral split along half its length.

I wonder why the difference. Has the material used for plastic plumbing changed over the last decade or so? Would barrier pipe be a better choice?

Richard.

Richard Russell

Was that one able to push out of the end connectors to save itself?

There are lots of different types. Plastic waste pipe is usually uPVC or ABS (cheaper).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not obviously. In neither of the last two winters (in 2011/12 it reached -14.4C here) have the end connectors been dislodged, and it isn't leaking.

I'm sure the plastics must be different, but what the pipe which has survived is I have no idea.

Richard.

Richard Russell

I used overflow pipe orginally but that failed. Now have a length of ordinary hose pipe from the divertor to butt. Hangs in a bit of a U (well quite a large U actaully about 2' deep) but that doesn't matter as the butt end is still a tad lower than the divertor end.

Just join the two butts together with a length of hose up out of one down into the other. Make sure all the air is removed from the top of the inverted U. Might be worth making sure the ends of the hoses are well down the butts so air doesn't get in to early as you use the contents.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

when I first got married and we moved into our first house I purchased a Plastic Table and chair set from Woolworth. It was Guaranteed 10 years. The sales tag was that it could be stored in the garden. 28years later it is still going strong. it has been stored in the garden in full sun frost etc and is as good as new apart from the odd stain that is a bit reluctant to wash off. ( still white)

It was about twice the price of the other stuff at the time but it shows how things are not all the same. My family have had several cheap sets give way in the same time.

Reply to
Gary

I realise I could use flexible hose, but it's ugly compared with what we have now. Since the old pipe has survived so well I would like to find another! Might PEX pipe be more durable; it's described as 'freeze-break resistant'?

Richard.

Richard Russell

ISTR reading a post here many years ago explaining the different reactions to frost when the pipe entered the tap vertically or horizontally. One way and the frost would push the tap off , the other way and the pipe would bur st

Reply to
fred