Front windscreen wiper relay faulty?

Hi all,

I have a 2001 Nissan Almera Tino. The front wipers started playing up (only working occasionally), and then stopped altogether. I'm trying to eliminate possible causes in a logical sequence.

The 30A fuse is OK. I then guessed it was the motor, so I got hold of a working motor but found that when I plugged it in and switchin on, it didn't turn.

I guess the fault could be either the switch or the relay. Do relays often go wrong, and is there a way to check them?

Thank you,

Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

Use a multimeter to find what's faulty

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They can, but it's more likely to be the switch. Does the relay click?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Jumping pins 3 and 5 (switch contacts) of the wiper power supply relay should remove that from the investigation, failing that check the grounds - everything else is built into the switch...

Reply to
Lee

Phil K wrote in news:XnsA424A3DAFC7E777777@130.133.4.11:

They have some strange wiring as the earth acts as a brake. To park, the armature windings are shorted when the power is removed when the internal switch gets to the parking position.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Looking at the wiring diagram, you should be able to swap the front wiper relay for the rear wiper relay. That might be a better test if you are not comfortable with stuffing wires in relay sockets :)

Reply to
Lee

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

No, the relay doesn't cklick when I turn the wipers on.]

Phil

Reply to
Phil K

Lee wrote in news:1kbuw.98404$ snipped-for-privacy@fx33.am:

Great - thanks. I will try that, tomorrow when daylight returns. I can see two relays in there, one is blue and the other is black. They are exactly the same size and shape. I will try swapping them over.

Regards,Phil

Reply to
AL_n

Well a now deceased friend had no end of issues with relays. The placement under the wing did not help as crud got into the box and played havoc with them. Assuming its switching the high current with a relay, and assuming no chafed wres, then seems the next logical place to look. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Be careful. There is a big range of 'relays' with the standard pin layout so will physically fit - but may well not be the same. Especially if maker's ones and a different colour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1 Well yes and even more so if they are different colours.

In this case the wiring digram

suggests they are simple SPDT relays with only the NO/common connection being used, so swapping them shouldn't cause a problem - as long as the OP has identified the right pair :)

Not sure what it will prove anyway, unless the relay coil is faulty, as they are only used to provide a power feed with the ignition switch on. As said, everything else is handled by the switch (and motor).

Reply to
Lee

That is not the same as 'often go wrong'.

Try understanding the post.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But then gave an unhelpful answer?

I snipped the part with no useful information. Which should really have been it all.

Tee hee.

But not by you, sadly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Lee wrote in news:i2euw.111658$ snipped-for-privacy@fx16.am:

Update: I took the lower dash panel off so I could see into the fuse/relay compartment. I was assuming that the black relay I could see was the wiper relay because it looks exacly like one I'd seen on ebay described as front+rear wiper relay.

However, when I removed both relays (the blue one and the adjacent black one, everything on the car still works! (Apart from the front wiper, that is.)

I checked: blinkers, headlights, starter motor, rear wiper.

So now I'm stumped. There is a discussion thread somewhere on the net where someone confidently states that the wiper relay is in that compartment. And one of the relays in there certainly appears identical to the one at the above URL.

There is one other relay in there, and it's about 50% bigger in size and more square in section (approx 30mm x 30mm) and has 'Nissan' and a long part number on it that's hard to read. I tried pulling that out but it doesn't want to come out. There may be some hidden clip that needs releasing. .

Any suggestions? Thank you again.

Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

It's one of those things it would be best to have a circuit diagram for - without having exact knowledge of how your model does things.

For example it's possible the relay only does the delayed wipe function. Or even is just part of the parking circuit. Either of which could have an effect on the operation of the whole. It's a bit of a minefield. However, one relay isn't going to control low and high speeds and intermittent. The switch normally does that - possibly using several relays.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Phil K wrote in news:XnsA4257A2FAB4E0777777@130.133.4.11:

PS - Correction: After I pulled the two relays, the windows stopped working. Replacing the blue relay restored power to the windows.

The adjacent black relay that might be the front wiper relay is part number 4RD 007 814-04 It looks identical to the one in the eBay link

The bigger black relay that I can't pull out is part number

24330 0900 it measures about 1" x 1" x 2"

Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I have scanned the wiper circuits page fropm my Haynes manual here:

Thanks, Phil K

Reply to
Phil K

Phil K wrote in news:XnsA42582FA27E01777777@130.133.4.11:

PS - just to clarify, the manual covers Nissan Almera and Nissan Almera TINO models, from 200 to 2007. My car is the TINO model, yr 2001.

Regards, Phil K

Reply to
AL_n

I had two relays go weird on me. In one case dismantling it and using emery board on te contacts restore XJS rear window demister to order

In the other case plugging it in again made it work.

Corroded contacts are the most common source of relay failure - on normal voltages the coils cant burn out or arc over and short.

Another failure mode happened last week on friends Citrone. No wasers ether front or rear. In the end we determined that there was abut a single two wire motor that was getting + or - 12v. Pulled it out. just went 'clunk' on application of 12v

Further dismantling revealed that the motor - what in model aeroplane terms would be called a 'speed 400' - had simply seized its main plain bearings.

wiper motors are a bit more meaty than that, but they too should work on application of 12v if removed. They do have park switches as well of course.

Once you ID the parts in the chain its not hard to test them one item at a time with a volt or resistance meter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news:a3130bac-ab22-4485-8844-151d5e9e6370 @googlegroups.com:

Thanks. While I have used a multi-meter for very basic tests, I'm not really experienced enough to use it reliably for circuits of this type of complexity.

Phil K

Reply to
Phil K