Front door swelling from water

friend has a front door which is a bit exposed. Recent rains made the lower part of the door expand and swell up.

Door was replaced but before it could get properly painted, it was caught in the wet weather againa nd it swelled up once more.

What can they do this time to prevent this happening? of course the door needs to dry out first.

Reply to
Don

Paint it?

Reply to
R D S

What do you mean by the "lower part of the door" Don - is it the frame sides or the sill?

In view of the lack of further info, I will suggest a few of courses of action you can take - but none of these will really stop a wooden door from swelling or shrinking (or even twisting) because of the weather (just reduce it).

A - Ease the door whilst it is still wet and swollen - this ensures that it will open and close properly and maintain its draught and water-resistant capabilities - but will lose these to a certain degree when it dries and shrinks.

B - Wait for the door to dry and then shrink and these ease it so that when it swells again it will fit - there is a good probability that if this is done, too much will be taken off the door, leaving it with a draughty fit and poor water integrity.

My preferred method is ?A? as this lets the door fit properly in the winter when heat loss and water integrity is at its most important, and to assist with this, draught excluders could be fitted to the outside of the frame.

Once you have used your preferred method and eased the door (wet or dry) - then paint it with (assuming it is bare) a coat of good, oil based primer, two coats of a good, oil based undercoat and ditto with the gloss [1]. Ensure that all surfaces are painted - including the top AND bottom edges [2] and this should hopefully restrict the amount of movement.

[1] Essential that oil based paints are used here rather than water-based, quick drying acrylics. Oil paints are far more durable and water resistant in exposed exterior situations than acrylics. [2] Pick a couple of nice dry days when the door can be removed and the bottom edge painted up to the full specification.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

replying to Cash, Alf wrote: Have you considered a door canopy? I make beautiful environmentally friendly zinc and copper door canopies. It will enhance your property and protect your door.

Alf