Front door lock help

Well I'm moving into a new flat in a few days and the front door on it has signs of breakings all over it and hammer marks. The last tennant was aparantly a trouble maker from what the neighbours say.

I want to get the front door changed and new locks.

Can anyone recommend a yale style lock and a good 5 lever mortise lock ?

(I have a B&Q locally, but I maybe able to find a good deal on ebay, new locks off course though)

I normally only have the yale and mortice and a door chain. I guess this is all that I need or has door security changed since the last time i moved 15 years ago ?

Thanks

Reply to
Joseph Craine

Chubb mortice locks have always seemed the best available at the diy sheds.

However if you're willing to buy online, I can recommend

are only half the story, a well fitted door and frame in good condition is essential.

Or consider an overgate.

Reply to
dom

BS 3621 marks on both, although that will cost you for a Yale style.

I'd use the ERA or Yale "Yale" style, as it's BS3621 and auto- deadlocking (50 quid mind). Also come with nice strong keeps to go into the frame. Chubb's is a poor design and I'd avoid it.

BS3621 lever locks are more of a muchness. ERA, Yale, Chubb all do decent stuff.

Make the chain a good one (most will pull out if hoofed) and fit hinge bolts too. Usual failure point (for a solid wood door) is the lock keep coming out of the frame, so make sure that's held with good long fixings into the masonry.

Also look at last night's break-in thread.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message

from " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" contains these words:

Reply to
Appin

Or protect it with a 'London Bar'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have the Yale one. Expensive, but good. Very solid and it can't be carded. Can also be deadlocked using the key, from the inside (not so good for escaping in a fire, though).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Other people have recommended locks, and I'd especially vote for Dave's London bar suggestion. But also think about the door you have fitted, and whether the frame is up to it. Ignore trendy appearances and go for a solid, heavy door, maybe even with a steel plate on the face or laminated into it. High-end fire doors are usually good, or Safer By Design specification. Really good locks will cost you around £100, but a similar door and frame will be at least 3 times that.

Reply to
Steve Walker