From Ebay

Bought a panel mounting LED digital thermometer off Ebay for 5.70 total, including probe, which I thought pretty good value. Only took a week to arrive all the way from China. Powered it up, and it was miles out. Like

10C where it should have been 20C. Sent a PM via Ebay, and got a very quick reply. Unusually, not from some sales droid, but I'd guess an engineer. Asked me what R17 and R18 were marked and also to measure them with a DVM - should be 10K. They were both marked 682 and measured at 6K8. (There are two inputs, and it can be set to read either, or cycle between them) They also asked for a pic of the label on the box so they could trace the production, etc.

I just happened to have some surface mount 10k resistors, so replaced them

- and both inputs now fine.

Be interested to know what they'll suggest I do - but even if nothing I'm still pleased enough, as it was quicker to replace the resistors than pack it all up and take it to the post office. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Last year I bought a 16 gb micro SD card off eBay that came from China. It was supposedly Sandisk - but half the price of a UK supplied equivalent.

It arrived promptly, and although in a package that appeared genuine, the details on the card itself were different to that on the packaging. Comparing the card with a genuine Sandisk it was obviously a fake. I contacted the seller and demanded a refund. Surprisingly they responded and offered a refund of just over half the cost and said I could keep the card. Although it's a fake - it works ok and so I was happy to accept the offer. The refund was duly made and I still have a working

16gb micro sd card!
Reply to
Ret.

Got a reply this morning apologising for fitting the wrong resistors and offering to send the correct ones for me to fit - and a second unit as compensation.

I can't somehow see a UK firm like Maplin giving this sort of service. They would have fobbed one off with a 'customer service' department, rather than getting an engineer to reply to a technical point.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tell us the seller!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sure Electronics.

Dave Plowman (News)

I had a problem with a computer I bought from Chillblast. Nearly expired free 2 year collect and return warranty.

I rang them (not premium rate) and we agreed it was the power supply. They gave me the choice of them collecting the PC or if I was up to fitting it they would send me a replacement power supply. I opted for the latter and the power supply arrived next day. Job done.

My ISP is Newnet. They are not the cheapest but on the very rare occasions there is a problem I speak to someone knowledgable. Last time it was a local BT fault but Newnet sent me regular emails on the progress BT were making (and warned me not to rely on BT's time estimates)

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible