Fridge won't work...

Not strictly DIY, but you guys seem to turn your hands to anything...

We have a Beko fridge bought secondhand from a friend but only around 2 years old. We use it just as an overflow fridge for extra veg, extra milk and beer and it stands out in the unheated garage. It doesn't seem to be working. The light comes on and if I turn the thermostat dial to '0', that even turns the light off so I'd guess the dial connection is OK.

I'd noticed that I was never hearing the fridge running. As the fridge stands out in the cold, I just assumed for a while that the ambient temperature was cold enough but I've noticed that even turning the dial to 'max' doesn't bring the compressor on. If I switch the fridge off and on the compresser doesn't even kick in at start-up. If I try and send some warm air around the compressor area where there are those copper coils and bulbs, still the compressor doesn't seem to activate. However, if I've left the fridhge off for an hour or so, on start-up, the compressor does run for a while. However, clearly the fridge is not operating at the temperature I would expect. I can't feel any heat in the compressor housing etc. as if it has stuck and is overheating. I can't find any broken connections.

Any idea what this could be...I'm about to throw it away?

Reply to
Brownie

I'm not quite sure but seem to remember that they are designed to work indoors, if the ambient temperature is too low they just don't behave properly. Try bringing it indoors for a day or two and then see if it works.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Sorry this is a bit vague....

There is a certain design of fridge which will not work if it is placed in a cold location such as a garage. Move it to a warmer location then try it again.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield