Fridge ventilation

Argument with kitchen designer... there's no provision to ventilate the fridge... yes but it is integrated!

Can you reasonably stuff a fridge or freezer in a wooden box and expect no efficiency losses?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I would have thought that, theoretically, no, practically, maybe, possibly, also depending on the size of the box compared to the 'fridge. What do the Instructions for Installation say? It sounds like a recipe for over-heated components, and a short life, but the designer will be gone by then. How does the designer explain how the heat is going to be taken away from the radiator at the back without re-heating the 'fridge?

Reply to
Davey

I thought all integrated fridges have a vent at the base. Like this one:

are several good reasons to avoid integrated appliances. What make and model fridge was he suggesting?

Reply to
metric_trade

No. The heat it pumps out from it's interior has to go somewhere and the free flow of air over the radiator is required for maximum efficiency. There may be some with a fan to blow air where needed.

Most fridge freezers have hidden in the small print somewhere their precise requirements for local environment. And they can be seriously tetchy - some modern fridge/freezers will not work at all in a garage! (defrosts completely if ambient temperature is below 5C)

Most units you can find spec details online to check.

Reply to
Martin Brown

ttp://

Not a lot of use when you are trying to vent *warm* air.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's not an old/modern issue, it's the design of the cooling circuit and how it reacts to already being (or thinking it is) cold enough due to the low ambient.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The link above shows a Bosch Integrated 'Fridge, which clearly shows pictures of the Air In and Air Out both using the integral vent underneath the unit, so that one is obviously designed for just this arrangement. That is not to say that all are, but that one is.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

fridge... yes but it is integrated! Can you reasonably stuff a fridge or freezer in a wooden box and expect no efficiency losses? -- Tim Lamb

You are right.

take a look here:

RobertL

The standard is EN 153: Class N suitable between 16 to 32 =B0C=20 Class SN suitable between 10 to 32 =B0C Class ST suitable between 18 to 38 =B0C Class T suitable between 18 to 43 =B0C

UK models are often quoted as 'SN-ST' i.e. 10 to 38 =B0C Despite the climate class, some will work beyond I've seen some products cl= aim to be suitable for use in a garage. For example:

metric_trade

Rubbish. It is a quirk of the choice of refrigerant liquid and one of them effectively stops working at 5C ambient. It is fine in a kitchen at ambient 15C or higher but useless at 5C or lower.

It is particularly disastrous in a freezer since the entire contents defrost when ambient temperature fall to 5C in the garage for extended periods and ironically external temperatures are typically sub-zero.

You can find the details online somewhere. I have in the past posted a link to the relevant mixtures used, boiling points and limitations. Unfortunately Google groups is no longer able to find it. You really do need to look very carefully at the ratings plate to spot this!

Reply to
Martin Brown

to be suitable for use in a garage. For example:

My brother in law was unlucky... his didn't at all. Very messy!

I have posted a link to this once before but could no longer find it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes. As I understand it, the compressor stops working below x degrees and the temperature inside the cabinet rises. It should be made a lot easier to buy something with a specified minimum temperature below 10 degrees.

Reply to
metric_trade

My fridge has a solid back made of some kind of corrugated plastic, so these presumably need no ventilation. No holes in it at all.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Having a poke about it seems that mine has some kind of underside eir extraction system.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :

The heat must be expelled somewhere, are there vents top and bottom?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes they need ventilation. Look in the instruction book.

Reply to
harry

I'd always thought those were made like that to hide the ugly machinery from delicate female eyes. However an enclosed back would also make it feasible to have a small fan that pushes the hot air around and - presumably - expels it. Maybe there's a fan that alternately sucks cold air, and later blows hot air through the front vent?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

It must have some form of forced ventilation then, which uses more energy.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's because they use a single thermostat in the fridge section. In cold ambient conditions the set temperature in the fridge is satisfied and the freezer is never cooled.

Didn't take me long to find my explanation, JFGI.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , metric snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

She:-)

Not specified. The kitchen company supply the housing and door leaving me to fund the appliance.

I may easily have misunderstood her drawing.

Reply to
Tim Lamb