fridge repair?

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool larder fridge (bought c. 2001) that is cooling to only 14C.

The compressor comes on occasionally; so it is not running permanently and it is not completely dead, so I assume that rules out compressor problems?

What could it be? A faulty thermostat? If not the thermostat, can it be repaired (including by a professional) or is it more economical to buy a new fridge?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Thank you.

I don't think it has a fan. Where would that be if it did? Cooling the fins on the back, or circulating air inside?

I am guessing lost cgas would only occur if there had been damage to the back. The fridge has not been moved, so it should not have been damaged. If the gas was lost, wouldn't the compressor fail shortly after?

Is there an easy way to test the thermostat? Eg with a multimeter? Or should I just buy a new one and fit that and look if that improves things?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Since the compressor runs little, this is the fault.

Fans in standalone fridges arent the norm.

in those 2 cases the compressor would run continuously.

You already have, it switches the compressor off when it reaches 14C

I'd fit a new stat.

NT

Reply to
NT

How long does the compressor run for? A few minutes or a few seconds?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I haven't timed it. I only mentioned it because I figured that if it didn't run at all that would mean one thing and if it ran continuously it would mean something else (though I don't know what!)

The compressor is not hot to touch. I will try and listen for it when it next comes on and see how long it stays on for. BTW the fridge is in the kitchen and not outside in the cold.

Reply to
Stephen

Short out the thermostat microswitch contacts so that the compressor runs permanently, and see if that enables the fridge to cool to the right temperature. If so, replacement generic thermostats are readily available on eBay. Make sure you measure the sensor tube length and take careful note of where/how it's wrapped round.

Meanwhile, you can run the fridge with 'stat contacts shorted on a timeswitch set for an experimentally-determined portion of each hour. I ran one for months that way whilst waiting for a round toit to fit the new 'stat.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

Thank you for the idea. Half the problem with these things is knowing how to take them apart! I pulled the thermostat dial off and found a small nut beneath, which I removed. Then I pulled the thermostat and light housing and luckily it slid off.

I have removed the thermostat and shorted the contacts. The fridge is quietly humming away, so I guess I should wait a few hours and see if the temperature has dropped.

The branded thermostats are £40. I'm thinking if I did not DIY it, there would probably be another £40 for fitting it. Who would spend £80 replacing a thermostat when a new fridge only costs £100? Hundreds of repairable appliances must be thrown away a year because of this.

I didn't realise I could get a generic thermostat m,uch cheaper from ebay - thank you - I will take a look. I wonder why they use a capillary. I guess it is cost. I just thought in these technological times, they could use an electronic sensor.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Seems you have sorted it. Well done.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Sorry for the late reply. For the benefit of anyone who finds them selves in a similar situation, the new thermostat finally arrived and cured it.

Reply to
Stephen