Fridge problem

Have just checked the temperature on our (old) built in fridge, and it's only going down to 10C ... (not low enough I know). However something is working, as there is ice on the back wall ... is this indication of something fixable, or is it (already prepared for it :- ( ) time for a new one ?

thanks guys

Reply to
Jethro

Caused by either:

Door seal not sealing anymore. Test it grips a till receipt all the way round.

Too much in the fridge so there's no airflow inside, so it's too cold in some places and too hot in others. Also make sure there are no loose wrappings as these block airflow between items.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for that ... this was with the fridge empty overnight, and a glass of water with my brewing thermometer in it ....

I checked the seal as best I can. It *seems* OK. However since it's moulded into the door, and a new door is unavailable (even if I wanted to change it) it looks like a new fridge is on the agenda. Grrrr .......

Reply to
Jethro

Also check that the light is going off - 15W in to a fridge is more than it can handle.

There might have been minor damage to the insulation; over time this will be increased by a cycle of freezing-thawing, although with just a fridge it'd be close to the evaporator.

Reply to
PeterC

Other thought - can the heat get out from the condensor (external hot pipework) into the room easily? If not, it's probably cooking the fridge from the outside, so it's fighting itself trying to cool down the inside.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No ... there is plenty of ventilation in the space, and the freezer next door has no problem ...

Reply to
Jethro

I'm having a similar problem with a 6 month old Bosch. Engineer visited and diagnosed a vent blocked with ice. Temporary cure whilst waiting for modified/superceded parts, turn it off and allow all ice to melt. Clear all melted water, check for blockage where possible and turn it back on.

Did this over the w/e and it has worked a treat. HTH

Reply to
Francis

Defrost timer broken? i.e. chiller plate frozen solid and doing very little?

Is the compressor pumping? Is the heat exchanger hot/warm?

Leaky door seals? Tape around the door overnight and check in the morning (masking tape will probably be good enough).

Al.

Reply to
Al

Andrew Gabriel explained on 13/07/2009 :

Might also be failed insulation holding water and ice around the outside. Leaving it off for a week to defrost and moisture to evaporate out might work, followed by sealing any open gaps with insulation visible.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Agreed. Lost two freezers this way.

Reply to
Clot

Is this a fridge/freezer or just a fridge? If the former, is it a frost free version? Is the compressor running all the time?

Reply to
Mark

Check the condenser isn't covered in s**t.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, likewise. (That was a result of them suddenly no longer being able to use CFC expanded closed-cell insulation foam, and there was no suitable closed-cell replacement, so the insulations started having limited life before becoming water/ice logged.)

Haven't seen this happen on a fridge though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Almost certainly a very slight leak in the system, meaning the remaining refrigerant is not travelling far enough through the pipe work to trigger the thermostat, this results in the compressor running continuously, (but might cut out occasionally if overheating), and ice building up on part of the back plate which will recede as more gas eventually escapes. The leak is usually buried in the insulation so not repairable, but a top up of gas might keep it going for a bit longer if you can get someone to do it for a reasonable price.

Reply to
Harry Stottle