Fridge not working

Hi,

Got a frost free Bosch fridge we bought in 1998.

Just recently, since the weather has gone bad, it doesn't seem to be getting as cold as before, esp in the freezer area. I can hear the motor come on etc, but food is soft. (although we have ice cubes in there that are still ice).

There is a super-freeze button on the front, when pressed it used to whirl into action. Now it does nowt.

The only enviromental considerations I can suggest is that its infront of a window that is cold.

I contacted Bosch and they want £49.50 for a call out (with 12mins of labour included and £3.53 per 6mins after.).

Has anyone got any suggests to try to diagnose the prob myself? I've asked them to give me the price of a new motor, so i can prepare myself for the worse.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Toneh

Reply to
Tony

I had a fridge/freezer stop working, the freezer part anyway, but I'm sorry to say all my efforts failed to find the problem ( the motor ran OK, and the larder part was cool enough, so it definitely wasn't the motor ). Fridges seem not to feature large in the expertise of people on this newsgroup, I had no helpful advice given to me when I asked a similar query to yours.

Some freezers are not guaranteed to work when the ambient temperature falls below +10C, but I take it your freezer worked OK until quite recently. My suspicion with my freezer was that the coolant gas in the freezer loop had escaped, but without special equipment and a schematic of the workings I was unable to confirm this. Looks like you'll have to bite the bullet....

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece