Fridge Freezer thermostat troubleshoot/repairs

Hi,

anyone here who have experience with troubleshooting and/or repairs of fridge freezers?

One that I'm using runs for a couple of hours after shut off and on again, then the motor stops (hot when checked by hand), and then the engine just stays off, irrespective of thermostat (temp) setting.

If make and model matters, it's an Indesit C133 (not frost free).

tia

Reply to
ts

How old is it?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I cannot see any production date or year on the serial no sticker, but would estimate between 5 and 10 years.

Reply to
ts

When starting from ambient temperature in both compartments, the temp drops rapidly to -20 in the freezer compartment, and the condenser coils warm up - which I interprete as the cooling hardware works as it should.

But there is no response if I turn the temp setting of the thermostat dial down. This made me think either the temp sensor or the thermostat dial control unit is faulty, letting the engine run continuously until it is cut off by a overheating protection circuit. And then it stays off.

I took the front cover off to have a look at the thermostat control unit, which externally looked OK (no corrosion or dirt) but without any screws allowing me to open it and check the inside. The metal tube to the thermostat sensor appeared to be soldered to the control box, and stuck in the hole it entered into in the insulation in the ceiling of the fridge compartment. I.e. no apparent way of removing it, if a replacement unit was easily available.

But my experience with fridge freezers is a bit lacking, since I've never had one that has stopped working before!

Reply to
ts

Sounds like the thermostat is faulty in that case. The thermostat, sensor and capilliary tube are one assembly.

- 20 in the freezer is most acceptable. I take it that the fridge compartment is okay? This is important. Turning the stat down may not turn the compressor off immediately unless you have it set high and the temps have achieved the values. Turn the stat to Number 2 and don't mess around with it. After setting the stat to Number 2, give it 12 hours or so and see if the compressor is still as hot. They do get hot. Number 2 is quite high enough. Don't be fooled by any "fast freeze" setting.

Stats such as yours are easily replaced PROVIDED you get the correct one. The capillary (metal tube) just pulls out of a tube routed into the insulation.

I used to repair refrigeration in a past life, I hope my input helps.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Thanks for your input to troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any chance to replace the thermostat unit. A management decision (by someone else) intervened,0 and resulted in a new FF being bought.

In my opinion a shame, since I didn't get to try out my diagnostic investigations. And also since it resulted in a potentially working FF ending up being scrapped.

IMHO a bit like buying a new car, instead of changing the engine oil of the old one, IYSWIM.

Reply to
ts

Ha! :-) It was almost certainly knackered anyway. Years ago I put an old compressor into my 15 year old Zanussi larder fridge. The fridge was quality. The stat failed, I had one so no problem. Five years later the stat failed again; I was out of the trade and the bloke in the shop wanted £20. The compressor was then 34 years old and getting a bit tired. For the sake of 20 quid the fridge went to the tip as many more do. Set the stat to Number 2 on your new fridge freezer and do not use any fast freeze options.

Reply to
Mr Pounder