Fridge-freezer thermostat replacement; shortening the sensor wire

I bought a generic thermostat to replace the faulty one in my Bosch Classixx fridge freezer. The thermostat looks almost the same as the old one, except that the stiff sensor wire is much longer. Can I shorten sensor wire with a wire-citter so that it is the same length as the old one?

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_n

No.

Reply to
Phil

Phil wrote in news:jshjl1$v69$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

OK - thanks. So is it OK to use it if the sensor wire is about a foot longer than the original one? How do I lose the excess - coil it up, near the thermostat and tuck the coil somewhere inside the thermostat cover?

Or do I keep pushing the extra long one into the sensor channel, and hope it doesn't meet with a dead-end before it is fully inserted? If so, I will buy another replacement stat - because I already clipped the wire to length, unfortunately.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Absolutely not. It's a pipe containing liquid under pressure, not a wire.

Just coil up the excess out of the way.

Reply to
Huge

Huge wrote in news:a535jmFmngU1 @mid.individual.net:

Ghaa! What a blunder! Anyway, thanks for the input; I've ordered a 2nd replacement...

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Its not exactly wire... erm, oh dear clipped it.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Plus, do not kink it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

"Mr Pounder" wrote in news:jsi9g0$fqv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks.. Al

Reply to
AL_n

Nobody has ever thanked me here before. I'm dead chuffed :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder

"Mr Pounder" wrote in news:jsn3et$spu$1 @dont-email.me:

Seems like normal courtesy to me. :) Unfortunately, I installed the new thermostat and it doesn't seem to work at all. I am sure I connected it up correctly. Maybe I got a duff one. Is that likely? Is it easy to test them using a multi-meter?

Al

Reply to
AL_n