Fridge - freezer recommendations

Hello all

I'm about to replace my (23 year old!) Zanussi fridge freezer, which is finally giving up the ghost, and am looking for recommendations of good and bad brands. I have around £350 to spend (and I won't be going to Currys!). Also I'd be interested to know whether the frost-free option is worth having? If I can avoid the annual freezer defrosting game, that'd be handy.

thanks Dave P London

Reply to
Dave Phillips

Yes, frost-free is a worthwhile feature, one less crappy job to do, and you won't have to go through that period where you can't be bothered to defrost the thing, but you can fit less and less food inside because of the ice. I have a Beko, it has performed well except for an unexplained glitch a few months after I got it ( freezer defrosted completely inexplicably - it recovered after 24 hours ). Anyway, for your £350 you should be able to afford a better frost-free model.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Agree totally. Frost-Free is amazing feature, one thing - you'll probably think the things not working - the cardboard covers of packaged items do not become frosted - no more scraping off the hoar frost to read what they are! Also because they're fairly good insulation the items don't feel 'cold' when you take them out of the freezer.

I purchased a BEKO (AIUI, a Turkish subsidiary of Hotpoint) from

No involvement with company other than as customer- I found them after googling for "frost-free" and "freezer". First purchase off them, no problems. BTW, I did "go to" C*rrys to inspect the item before placing an order. [If C*rrys decide to spend their money on hiring that orange-tanned bloke to persuade me to enter their store rather than on reducing the price of their goods - ....]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

best make I found was liebherr.

Just built a bit better than most I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very best on the market is Vestfrost, Danish make. (like the bacon) Small independents sell them, a bit dearer than middle range but domestic units have same running gear as the commercial ones. Had one for 26 years, repair them for a living many 25-30 years old.

Ps Nothings like it used to be!! Good luck Colin

Reply to
Colin T

We wanted a second fridge freezer to stick in the utility room, as an "overflow" unit for the built-under kitchen fridge and freezer.

Because looks didn't matter, we bought a tall beko one for under 200 quid from comet, and it has performed faultlessly. It only has a single thermostat dial though, so if you are getting one like that don't keep it in an unheated cold room in winter or the freezer contents will defrost because the fridge section never gets cold enough to click the compressor on. You can get dual thermostat ones for not much more.

The beko ones may be cheap but I don't know anyone who has had a problem with them.

Mark

Reply to
Googolplex

I know of hundreds, but we only see the faulty ones!

Colin

Reply to
Colin T

At £350, it is a matter of getting the best spec for your money, as quality will be much the same at that price.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil