Fridge freezer compressor not running

Hi

I have a 10 year old Hotpoint fridge/freezer. Yesterday, its red light came on indicating that the freezer temperature is above the maximum allowed. Both the fridge and freezer then thawed and the compressor did not run. There appear to be separate thermostats for the fridge and freezer compartments. Since both compartments are warm, I conclude that there is a common failure and that probably the thermostats are not faulty. There is a component that looks like a large capacitor, which I guess is the starter for the compressor. I wonder if this starter is faulty.

Do you think my logic is correct and that the starter is probably faulty?

Do starters commonly fail?

Thanks for reading this.

David

Reply to