Friction Hinges

My son has bent the "arms" of the friction hinges on his bedroom window.

Measuring the length of the friction arm fixed to the frame, its 600mm (I'm presuming this is where the "size" comes from). However, I can only source 400mm from Screwfix

anyone know where to obtain longer ones from? Am I measuring the correct bit to get the size?

Reply to
Paul King

Yes, the size is the overall length of the hinge. 600 mm is a standard size, try local window companies not the national boys.

Richard

Reply to
Rick

Never thought about the local window companies! Cheers Rick.

Reply to
Paul King

May you be able to bend them back? Are we talking slight bend, or spaghetti?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Spaghetti I'm afraid! Bent 'em back last time, with *explicit* instructions not to open that particular window (1 of 3) again.

Sadly, the attention span of 17 year olds isn't what it used to be :(

Had to hacksaw through the "arms" to straighten them in order to close the window.

Ho hum....

Reply to
Paul King

I managed to get a couple from the window fitter working opposite :-) for the price of a large beer (convenience was everything). However they were about 2mm wider than the originals so some careful shaving of upvc with a chisel was required, about 40 minutes to remove window and fit new hinges. If possible gt the 17year old to help as the windows are pretty heavy when you remove the last screw!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Echo that, with one further recommendation.

Do not under any circumstances attempt to remove the sash single-handed.

I still visit a young chap who was a window Service Engineer who tried to do a customer an unscheduled favour and broke all the rules by working on a sash hinge from a ladder on his own.

He also broke his back when he hit the ground.

Reply to
Ziggur

"Paul King" wrote | Spaghetti I'm afraid! Bent 'em back last time, with *explicit* | instructions not to open that particular window (1 of 3) again. | Sadly, the attention span of 17 year olds isn't what it used to be :( | Had to hacksaw through the "arms" to straighten them in order to | close the window.

You could have left it open all night, /and/ taken his duvet away :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Strong advice indeed, Ziggur. I shall take heed!

Reply to
Paul King