Fresnel aspherical acoustic mirrors

Where did you get the 'massive. from ? Not from my post! I envisage them being slightly bigger than the shoulder pads in suits, but like them, worn inside, and so quite invisible. And I did say 'for those with MILD hearing loss'. Even the latest ITE (in-the-ear) devices deliver what I consider to be an unacceptably poor signal/noise ratio - and are much too expensive. for many people. You may not realise that Fresnel mirrors (acoustic as well as optical) can be of any external shape. It's only the individual reflecting sectors that are angled to reflect into the required focus area. As they would comprise only plastic mouldings, they would be cheap, reliable, and leave the ears free. Bone conduction (BTE) devices are, in my opinion, already more effective than the ITE devices - and are improving. But they too are fragile high-tech electronic devices, and don't come cheap.

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

No. Fresnel mirrors can be of arbitrary external shape, and so could fit the shoulders in exactly the same way as ordinary shoulder pads.

If only all that were true !

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

And which bit is NOT true?

I do have to wonder about "hard to spot", but compared to the huge lump my grandmother had hanging from a clip, nearly continuously emitting very loud, piercing noises, it is at least arguable.

Reply to
polygonum

You don't say !

Seriously though, I haven't the slightest wish to patent the idea - even assuming it is patentable. Any company with expertise in Fresnel acoustic nirrors and plastic moulding could churn out this type of hearing aid for for a few pence each. The only noteworthy expense is the one-time cost of designing and fabricating the moulds.

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

On 25/10/2012 12:02, Nick Odell wrote: ...

The main problem with patents is, as you point out, the need to be able to protect them. An alternative route, particularly if there is a long lead time to get the product to market, is to get massive market penetration before anybody else realises that you have a good idea and accept that there will be a few people around picking up the crumbs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

If you are the little guy that works but not so well as you might hope. The big guys can come in with large volume and predatory pricing.

Typically you get a roughly three way split of inventors share, and two competitors. Not talking about what you are working on in the pub helps! (I am serious here - we ended up with a competitor that way)

But it is still better than fighting them in a war of attrition through the courts. Only the lawyers are certain to win in that game.

It is even worse in the US where patents for the blindingly obvious are granted with monotonous regularly. The big corporates with deep pockets can drive the little guy into the ground even if he has a valid patent.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The story of my life.

And the reason why engineers are not worth paying. Copy the best technology, make it in China and market the crap out of it. That's how you make money.

Look at Apple...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It worked well enough to suit me.

Only if they can see a large enough return from the investment needed. It is not easy to displace someone who already has over 90% of the potential market. Of course, it did help me that the only company that tried to do so didn't understand the principle behind what it was supposed to do and made a product that did not perform well and was not liked by the end users.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Pah, trivially easy. Russian fur hat with the flaps down or simple baseball cap with extensions out to the lower sides, cunningly shaped as cartoon characters to attract the local idiots.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

FA: Woolly hat with inbuilt headphones. Came as a package with a camera we bought in Spain after I left mine at home...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ