Frenxh window back to front! How to make more secure?

Mathew Newton wrote in news:3883e66a-85d8-4968- snipped-for-privacy@a36g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

I think it's fairly clear that this one was designed to be opening inwards. I can tell by the design of the locking mechanisms, etc.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

harry wrote in news:a2982740-0ed7-420f-826d- snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

I can replace the screws with security screws, possibly, but I'm not sure how I could make the pins less east to tap out. Anyone got any suggestions?

Unfortunately, the beads are on the outside. The door was designed to be installed the other way round, I'm fairly sure.

I agree. I'm just concerned about the burglar who goes from house to house looking for the easiest entry. Certainly, leaving a ground floor window open would be an easier entry, but I think in Winter, most people keep their windows shut.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

"Man at B&Q" wrote in news:4035fafe-7fbe-4947- snipped-for-privacy@j25g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Why do you think it's a wind-up, axactly? (Or am I just feeding a troll, here?)

Reply to
AL_n

harry wrote in news:a2982740-0ed7-420f-826d- snipped-for-privacy@i13g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

I didn't know that. This seems to confirm that I have French doors that were hung back to front. Besides the beads being on the outside, the shortest half of the euro-cylinder is outermost too.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

I've called outward opening doors to a patio, French doors, all my life.

Long before the word 'patio' came into general use as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can you post a photo? With all due respect I can't but feel you might have made some incorrect assumptions here... :-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Says who? (Don't say the French!)

To me, patio doors typically (always?) slide, and French doors open - mostly outwards. A cursory search of the Internet suggests that's a fairly standard viewpoint!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

"Gary" wrote in news:FfFro.4$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.ams:

The superglue sounds like an option. I'd have to remove the beads and make sure the surfaces are very clean before gluing. Yes?

Al

Reply to
AL_n

French windows open inwards. The reason being that outside would be shutters and it might be wanted to open the window for a cooling draught while leaving the shutters closed to keep out the sun. At least that's what I've always thought.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar Iredale

That's what we've done today ;-) (although the 2m high 'doors' are 1/2m above the floor level and are actually windows)

Reply to
JTM

Sorry. It just seems so obvious that you can't simply turn a door and it's frame around and expect all the weather sealing to still work reliably.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

PVC anything has relatively large cross-section?

Get some OSB and board up the inside or outside temporarily. Remove the door entirely, and the glazing panels. Give the frame dimensions to a joiner, with the glazing panel dimensions too, get him to make up a wooden door for you. Use a glazing compound compatible with double glazing ONLY (not linseed oil putty) and pickup some glazing spacers from screwfix etc.

A local joiner can be very cheap, a very large window in primer was only =A315. Alternatively buy a morticing tool from Lawson etc or (proper) dowel jointing jig and make your own (you will need a decent saw as well or a local hardware store with decent table saw to cut all the pieces for you. If you can not get the profiles you can get a router for about =A325 that will do.

Reply to
js.b1

"Man at B&Q" wrote in news:9adb258a-b8f6-4698- snipped-for-privacy@k30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

I'm no expert by any means. Perhaps you know more than I do - but why would the weather sealing be affected by removing the door and frame and reinstalling it?

I think the french doors (and also the UPVC fron door of my house) were second hand (i'e. had been used on another building) when they were installed, and they have no weather sealing issues.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

"Man at B&Q" wrote in news:9adb258a-b8f6-4698- snipped-for-privacy@k30g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

Forgive me if this appears twice. I can't see my previous attempt at responding. I just wanted to say that both the French window and my front door are both second hand UPVC items. That is to say, they had previously been used in other houses. However they have no weather-sealing problems. I don't understand why you think that removing and reinstalling a unit should affect the weather sealing.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

-

Take a door designed to open ouitwards and fit it the other way. Do you think the side that was on the inside, but is now on the outside, was tested to withstand windblown rain from getting through? I wouldn't make any such assumption.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q