french windows

I am replacing a kitchen window with full length french window in an old stone farmhouse. Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality french windows. They must be secure. Can I get double glazed metal windows ?. Do I need hardwood or softwood ?. Cheers Nick

Reply to
capnahab

Depends if you are in a conservation area/National Park or not. If so then I suspect you will be expected to use both the usual local wood and style - which may mean custom made.

Reply to
Mike

Well I make French windows, but I'm not really touting for trade as I'm quite busy. Get back to me if you don't mind waiting a while. Look out for a local craft joiner and dictate your spec. Softwood - unless it is larch or Douglas fir don't use it because it will rot before your grandchildren claim their inheritance. Hardwood

- most of the trade seem to think destroying the rainforests is a smart idea. Don't go there. Which narrows the choice down to oak. It will last for ever, it won't need painting, it is strong, it is beautiful and it's use puts you on the side of the angels. Double glazing with laminated glass is very secure.

Biff

Biff

I had some made by a local joiner which had the two advantages that they fitted the space exactly and were to my design.

They cost marginally more than off the shelf ones but not so much as to make me panic and I reckoned that they cost the same when I added in the saved hassle factor of thinking about how to fill in the gaps round the edge of off the shelf ones

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to