French doors too narrow

I'd like to fit some French doors in an existing 48" opening. I've had some advice from local handypeople/firms, and in essence they say an off-the-shelf package like this:

't suitable because it's slightly (an inch and a bit) too narrow. Also, it's too short - the opening is about 8'. As a result quotes have been in the £1700 - £2500 range, when £1000 should be possible. This is the info I gave local firms:

'd have thought, and would be quite happy to attempt, an off-shelf package, some wood either side to fit, and a wooden painted glazed frame above. Doable?

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

> or

Looking at my Jeld-Wen catalogue, they say that a 1190mm wide doorset is designed for a 1200mm wide opening, so you are really only talking about making up 19mm on the width. I don't see why it should not be possible, but you are still going to need a custom-built window above the door, so I'm not sure that the saving will be as much as you think.

Personally, I would go for custom build the lot, as I think it likely to look a lot better. It is a one-off cost and you will have to live with the results for a very long time.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

> or

There are uPVC companies in my area who make doors and windows to suit ANY opening for installers.

Not all houses are built the same and neither are all door and window openings are the same size

Reply to
Bob H

Yes, the space between door and opening is an issue.

Funnily enough I've not been able to get a non-UVPC custom build price - 'master joiners' round here don't seem interested.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I had no problem getting a special front door, of similar size, built for a property I previously owned. It cost about £800 c 10 years ago IIRC. Mind you, the company that did the work no longer seems to be around.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar