French custom joinery experiences?

Hi,

We are doing a conversion of an oast/barn in Kent. As part of this, we need about 25 windows & external doors custom made out of hardwood. to take 22mm argon-filled glazing.

The quotes we've had from our part of the world have, not surprisingly, been very expensive... however these things seem cheaper in France...

So, anyone here have any experiences or recommendations about using French custom-made joinery... Quality? Price? My wife is a fluent French speaker, so that may help. We are particularly interested in the Pay de Calais or Nord regions for ease of access.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

Get a quote from 'up north' just to compare. London and surrounding areas always seem silly prices. But I think you're right - and quality is probably better. Just don't expect it on time :-)

Reply to
Mike

Would you like to hear about my experiences in a vineyard B&B in Bordeaux in a converted barn when the bed went through the 1st floor bedroom floor at 3-00 Am one pitch black morning? Guess not. ;)

At home I had all the Doors, Window frames, skirtings and architraves in my house replaced with Brazilian Mahogany in 1990 by a local joiner (Leeds). The cost didn't seem too bad, maybe the top end of what you'd pay for plastic

6-7 Years later I had the barge boards and soffits replaced with hardwood but the price of Brazilian Mahogany had gone through the roof so I used "Phillipino hardwood".

About France I really can't say except that the price of the raw material is out of proportion to the cost of the labour hours needed to fabricate a window frame, assuming they are using all the proper machine tools. It should be cheaper if you can order the 25 windows all at once, all with the same profiles, so no need to re-set the machine.

The quality of the raw material has a big effect on the price. What are they quoting for?

DG

Reply to
Derek *

If you're looking for doors and windows made to normal French commercial standards (i.e. not made by hand) have a word with Lapeyre in Calais (just opposite the big Auchan on the road to Coquelles). They do doors and windows in custom sizes.

Bear in mind though that French windows open inwards and are fitted flush with the inside surface of the wall.

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham