Freezer Problem

Everything in the kitchen just stopped so I reset the mcb. The freezer wasn't working so I changed the fuse in the spur box to the freezer and the fuse in the plug. Both had gone. The freezer no appears to be working, well the thermastat light has come on. Am I likely to find a load of defrosted food in the morning?

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

This may be a good time to search for a new freezer.

Reply to
Nick

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Just as well I am getting a zero % credit card.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

If it managed to blow both fuses, that's sounds like a dead short, which is more likely to be a simple electrical fault in the appliance or flex than a terminal failure. Doesn't mean it won't happen again before morning. Such a fault will have generated quite a burn/flash mark, and it might be quite visible if you have a careful look along the flex and at the back of the appliance.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I will have a look but I am a bit confused now. I was alerted to the problem when the mcb for the kitchen tripped out. This morning it dawned on me that the fridge and freezer are on unprotected circuits, not on the kitchen ring. So was it a coincidence that the MCB tripped.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

ok, the microwave tripped the mcb, now completely dead.I am puzzled why the freezer blew 2 fuses.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

I wonder if you had a large voltage surge?

Strangely enough, my bathroom fan heater died this morning with a flash and a bang, and a shower of red hot gobs of metal, a couple of which burned holes in my underpants. Fortunately, I wasn't wearing them at the moment. It tripped the 20A MCB, but didn't blow the 10A fuse in the FCU. Looking inside, it's flashed across at the point where the live and neutral are quite close at the element connections, but there's not enough left at the site to see what triggered it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well it always pays to check. I took the back off the micowave not expecting to be able to do anything and immediately saw a 10A fuse on a circuit board. I put a 13 amp plug fuse in its place (standing well back just in case) plugged it in and hey presto the display on the micro wave lit up. So having got a replacement 10A fuse I have saved a £160 microwave.

Kevin.

Reply to
Zen83237