Freeview problems, reception or connections?

I have Freeview using a cheapo Wharfedale tuner + hard disk recorder.

The tuner says that the signal strength is 100% (drops to 80% occasionally).

On most of the channels I watch (BBC1 ... Channel Five, BBC4, UKTV History/Dave) performance is perfect. One small thing though --- some faint video background appears on Channel Five --- perhaps visible on C5 because I was watching cricket with its ample plain background; but no breakup on C5.

However, specifically on Channel 4 + 1 and More 4, I get breakup; while that is happening, the signal strength indication remains good (I say that because there is a tree between my aerial and the transmitter and there has been a lot or rain recently.

I have RF entering the Freeview tuner/recorder and then off to the VHS recorder. Otherwise SCART connections --- assorted breeds acquired randomly.

Any suggestions as to the cause?

TIA,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Connection.

In recorder/tuner socket. I think not the SCART lead as I swapped for another.

Current fix is to rest the SCART plug (it's the bottom one) on a book so that the weight of the machine (not much) slightly bends the plug and socket. I regret to admit that this is as much DIY as I'm going to perform.

Doesn't tally with my model of the type of signal carried by SCART; I reckoned the fault had to be frequency dependent.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

I must admit that I have had similar problems with SCART plugs - they do not seem to be the most robust of connections - one of the TV's inputs only works intermittently and you have to waggle the cable/prop it up (similar to yours) - the other works fine!

Reply to
John

I guess they're designed that way so that they fall out if anything gets moved. The alternative would be worse

Reply to
stuart noble

The best ones I've found are flat scart cables. The cable weight doesn't come at the end, causing the far end of the plug to pull out of the socket. That said, they are of a lousy design where the socket contact tension can reduce with heat or normal use, reducing the pressure on the plug blade.

Reply to
John Weston

That's why they're called SCART. Stands for 'Some Connectors Are Really Tinny'.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott