freeview is crap?

What is 0.5 of a bit?

Reply to
Googolplex

What is 0.5 of a bit?

Reply to
Googolplex

So are we to take it that your TV has two scart sockets, with the DVD plugged into one socket, and the freeview plugged into the other?

You do know that most TV's only have 1 RGB-capable scart socket, even if they have more than 1 scart socket....

Try swapping around the connectors on the back of your TV and see if the DVD suddenly becomes "washed out"....

Reply to
Googolplex

The ratio between the number of times you posted this and the number of times you should have posted it.

Reply to
Huge

Then I can['t udnerstand what you are whinging about. The Freeview picture quality is perfectly acceptable if you use RGB, bloody awful if you use composite.

It is however possible to connect a TV to a STB using the UHF modulator.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Imho, the picture from Freeview is not acceptable, especially when compared to a decent analogue picture.

s--p--o--n--i--x

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Yup.

Its not a huge effect. I may play with teh telly controls a bit and see. Might have contrast turned up..

100 quid soney one, since all gear is sony - hoped to get down from te 4 remotes currently in use...

(one for telly, one for hifi, one for DVD,one for freeview)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Triued that. Didn't work.

I now have a simple dasiy chain of freeview->DVD.VCR->telly, all scart. RF pass through is there as well, but not normally used when I select SCART input on telly.

Nope. Could try swapping I suppose. Its a big sony thing.

OK. But they are both coming down the same scart.

See if i can find the telly manual.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is basically what I am saying. Using my exoperience of JPEGS/BMP's I'd say there was at least 4:1 compression on it, maybe up to 10:1

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And assuming that modulator is half decent, and a half decent TV, there's not a lot of difference between RF and composite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Better here than the analogue signal ever was. As I say, my experiecne of it is that those who whinge have usually managed to fuckup the connection to the TV somehow.

Oh well, whining like a stuck pig won't fix it either.

Send the STB back and watch analogue if you don't like it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then I'll bet you any money you're not watching RGB - few if any things allow it to be daisy chained.

Have you tried the colour control? If it does anything, then you're not watching RGB.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely. I blame it on the SCART design. It should have been a one way only port, and only RGB/stereo. Anything with alternatives is beyond the understanding of perhaps most.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The bandwidth is potentially slightly higher on the I frames, but depends on the rate of change of colour (both horz and vert) in this one frame.

But the predicted frames are far worse. In fact it can be argued that they actually contain no 'real' high frequency information at all, only an error term from the prediction and motion compensation algotithms.

The test card is fixed and uses all available bits for an I frame. Because most of the lines are pure verticals and horizontals it actually resolves very well. Turn it through even 1 deg though and the picture would look awful.

Not as much as the picture :-)

But digital has other problems with reds (and blues). Algorithm changes have helped but the fact that Ferrari had to change the colour of their car because of it indicates how serious the problem is.

14 bits of information is needed at any sample point, but you need a reasonable dynamic range depending on the music. For some modern music 1 extra bit will do but for a concert in theory another 10 bits could be needed. However the background radiation of the universe gets in the way at -131 dBm0 so a bit less than this will have to do. In practice the best digital mixing systems with a single mic input active can deliver around 22.5 bits performance but this is still not as good as being in the concert hall.

That's mixing things up. 16 bit over sampled would be fine but the CD isn't oversampled, it's at 44.1 kHz. Any extra information is created by the 'imagination' of the over-sampling algorithm.

Reply to
Mike

Please see earlier post to Dave.

11 bits are better than most vinyl discs, but Linn proved that you could both cut discs and extract the information from the disc with far better accuracy than was being achieved elsewhere at the time.
Reply to
Mike

A bit with 50% of it's constitution being noise.

Reply to
Mike

Yep

Including the designers of many video recorders !!!!!

Reply to
Mike

In fact on our Sony box, freeview that is, the piccy on RGB and RF are as "digital" as each other;(

Reply to
tony sayer

Ah!, now do you know I have a theory that a lot of people for various reasons have less than ideal analogue TV and FM radio in the main mostly caused by poor and in efficient aerials.

However sometimes if your served by a local relay station then its quite possible that the signal that is re-broadcast will be degraded. Mind you theres not that many relay stations DTV equipped anyway!....

Its a legit complaint IMHO...

Wont have the bl**dy choice if the guvverment gets its way will we?....

Reply to
tony sayer

You've just blown any credibility you may have had.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)