Freeview and signal quality

Just found this - not sure how good it really is but worth a try to review the quality of your signal after doing the usual postcode check

Using BBC or ITV on analogue - select page 284 on Teletext and follow the guidance.

(Any comments?)

Reply to
John

I don't know what the page actually say, but it is intended to give an indication of what your signal quality will be AFTER digital switch-over (when many muxes will move channels and increase power) it won't tell you anything about the digital signals you might or might not receive before then.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , John wrote

At best a general guide and at worst a complete waste of time.

The only way to check signal strength - and more importantly with digital, signal quality - is to attach equipment to the end of your aerial lead. Even some of the cheap Freeview set top boxes give an indication of signal strength and quality.

Reply to
Alan

I agree...I held off buying a Freeview box for ages on account of my postcode area coming up with a 'not a chance, matey boy' level of service whenever I looked into the coverage. And then a month or so ago I took a chance and splashed out on a Phillips Freeview box ( about £30 ) and gave it a whirl on the telly. Worked a treat - even with an aerial that's old and pointing the wrong way from everyone else's. If I'd known, I'd have bought a dual tuner box....

Still nothing much on worth watching though....

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

In message , Stephen Howard wrote

But you have five times as many channels of c**p to choose from. If you miss the c**p the first time around then you can often watch it one hour later .... and then on the next day ... and then on the next.... and ..... :)

Reply to
Alan

Its the pointing in the wrong direction that should give a clue. You can bet the others are pointing at a relay and they can't get freeview while you are pointing at the main transmitter. Are all the other aerials the wrong way up too? I recall main transmitters are horizontally polarized and relays vertically polarized but I don't know from where I recall it.

Reply to
dennis

YThat is generally true. IIRC one main station is VP. Several relay stations are HP.

Some of the current (80 or 81) DTT sites are at analogue relay sites and are thus currently VP.

Reply to
<me9