Freeview

Lots of messages this week about needing to do a re-tune (Waltham). Now I struggle to get HD

Why do the higher channel (58) numbers have a lower signal strength on the TV display.

Also (on my Panasonic) it shows Signal Strength and Signal Quality. What do the two mean?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Signal strength is an analogue measure of the received signal power (or voltage) Signal quality is an internal display of the digital signal error rate of the demodulated signal.

Everything else being equal**, higher frequency signals are attenuated more in transmission through the air.

**but it rarely is equal!
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Umm. Its so unequal as to not really be true at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AFAIK there's nothing "important" that's changing, probably just SlapperChannel7 replacing ShittyJewelry3

The HD mux hasn't changed, maybe worth trying a full reset and tune from scratch, rather just than a re-tune if your stb/idtv has got confused.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also, 4G transmissions are starting up, and you might be getting interference if you're near a 4G mast.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Think the UK group have a new channel called 'Drama' starting shortly. Dunno if that needs a re-tune. Be prepared for wall to wall 'The Bill'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Waltham did move the BBC-SD mux down from 61 to 49 in May, suppose 4G rollouts could be starting, but AFAIK none of the 800MHz ones are launching proper until the autumn ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There's a few other "so what" changes, such as BT Sport1&2 replacing Sky Sport1&2

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just because a channel is of no interest to you doesn't mean it's not to the OP. Or others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does _anybody_ watch VacuousTarts6 or PlasticShitXXL?

I'd always had them down as some sort of loss-leader tax scam.

Reply to
Adrian

Mismatch of your aerial to the incoming higher frequencies and/or worse losses in a poor quality UHF cable or iffy connector somewhere.

Signal strength is roughly how much of it - aim for 7/10 or higher.

Signal quality is how accurate it is again aim for 7/10 or higher and ideally 10/10. 9/10 is watchable. 5/10 is amusing 3/10 a joke.

Worth unmaking cleaning and remaking the connectors in case some corrosion is partially rectifying the signal. See recent thread here.

You could often see every possible mode of failure in Comet's wall of digital TVs with lousy shared aerial before they went bust.

With Panasonics it is always worth having a look to see what other channels it has hidden up in the 800's. It's algorithm for loading channels into low numbers is way too simplistic first found no matter how bad the quality may be. It is a real PITA near Manchester!

Reply to
Martin Brown

I dunno. My comment referred to a channel which will show TV progs. Almost certainly all older stuff, but nothing wrong with that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is no standard way between manufactures of reporting the information. On my equipment 60% signal strength is OK but anything below 98% for quality in unacceptable

Reply to
alan

I've only noticed two channel changes recently, the spin of from Yesterday called Drama and the BT sport one. One assumes that Sky sports and Davejaview will now go to make the bandwidth usage the same.

As for signal quality, well in them good old days many folk had for example a lot of ghosting,one could say that such a signal was strong but not good quality. Its a rough measure of the error correction going on, and if too low is not watchable due to pixelisation or the set cannot resolve the data at all. Many other things can cause this, co channel interference, quite bad on Tuesday morning due to a tropo lift event, and interference from other services of course. also the higher the frequency of the transmitter, the less well it can get through obstacles and the range will be shorteer as the attenuation of the atmosphere will be greater, and of course one assumes the aerial gane curve ofver the bandwidth will also affect it. Bet you are glad you asked. brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Chuckle, well its not the strength but the quality and consistency that matter I've found. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I find Freeview pretty unwatchable most of the time due to all the digital artifacts. DSAT is better but still suffers, the worst being the inabilty to reproduce a graduation in colour and level without banding.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I reckon that was deliberate because there was always one model (a different one every week or two) that looked perfect compared to all the buggered-about-with ones around it. Probably the model that was clogging up the stock room or was about to be replaced with a new version...

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Talking of atmoshpere, does the heat (or other current conditions) make for an iffy signal? I've got one TV on freeview with a set-top aerial and signal strength/quality is usually pretty good. But for the last couple of months (and especially when it's hot like today), I get the "no signal" message on screen for a few seconds a couple of times an hour. It did it last "summer" too, but I don't recall it happening all through the winter. I've got two TVs on Sky and lose them sometimes when it rains so I wonder if there's a similar issue with Freeview and the weather?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

odd. Freevew is consistently good for me these days, though yestyrdays highs caused one mux to crap out after dark.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

high pressure allows UHF to skip further than line of sight, so you get interference from other transmitters. ]

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher