FreeView

These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on cable? I have never looked into this.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not sure but I'd avoid them anyway.

The upgrade cycle for a STB is (currently) far shorter than a TV, in a few years time you'd have a relatively new TV with an obsolete "STB".

I've owned both and speak from experience!

R.

Reply to
Richard Phillips

You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If your TV's RF socket is plugged into the cable box, then you will not get Freeview. Only connecting the TV to an TV aerial will you get the Freeview digital signals.

Reply to
ABC

We get all our TV fed through cable here in Milton Keynes and you have to get an aerial put on the roof to get the Freeview channels. Which hardly seems worth the expense and effort to me.

I get all the Freeview channels through my Sky+ connection.

You can easily tell round here who's getting Freeview as they're the ones with an aerial, oh, and are normally over 50 and have some contrived political reason for not paying for Sky...when the truth is they're just too tight.

Reply to
RedOnRed

I might check next time I'm over my mother's house. She has NTL and certainly used to get analogue terrestrial baseband down the cable. No idea if they are now transmitting digital terrestrial signals as well, or have reallocated the bandwidth to digital cable or something.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Who's this self-appointed diy group moderator CRISP BACON - or some such stupid name? The groups he divert TV type queries too are rich in "couples looking for long term sex", "How to make money out of Ebay" and 1001 other scams. Sometimes Mr Crispin Bacon, groups can actually overlap - and fiddling about with aerials and scarts and VCR's and coax may just have some aspects approrpiate to DIY. eg Some high gain aerials are sold as kits. There (may) be things of interest there. There is usually very low moise on this NG - so without more ado Mr Bakofoil why don't you go to uk.sod.off

Reply to
Dave

It will be re-multiplexed and modulated according to the DVB-C standard, which is quite different from DVB-T. AIUI "Freeview" only refers to the DVB-T (DTT) platform.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Not you again! Still miffed, eh? My heart bleeds. Grow up. Please keep your nose out of a lovely exchange I expect to have with the eminent Dr. Drivel.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Obviously it won't pick up the cable digital signal. However, the NTL system, at least where we were, also rebroadcast analogue terrestrial signal on the standard UHF frequency. There is no reason that they couldn't do the same with the DVB-T signal. Whether they do or not is another matter. I wouldn't be surprised if they had dropped the baseband analogue signal yonks ago, let alone failed to rebroadcast the new digital multiplexes when they came online.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Or rather it's a load of trash not worth paying for? And why would you want to have Sky *and* cable?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In our area you can only get anologue Sky through the cable service. NTL are yet to invest in the cable infrastructure.

Anyway, why's it a load of trash? Or need I ask as you fall inside my demographics?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Apologies to normal people. This man is clearly a lunatic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I thought Milton Keynes banned external aerials. Paying £30-40 a month, which may be near £500 a year for sweet FA on Sky is Freeview time. Don't Sky have a one off deal to fit a dish that can receive Freeview better than an aerial?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oh yes, Mr Bacon. Only fit have his arse on the slicer.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So in your area NTL do not broadcast Freeview down their lines. You will need an aerial to get it, unless on Sky?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

AIUI, that's not Freeview - it's FreeSAT. It may carry a similar (but not identical) mix of channels, but it uses different technology and needs a different sort of decoder (set top box). So a digital TV which contains the equivalent of a Freeview STB won't be able to understand the signal from the satellite.

I'm sure others will correct me if this is wrong!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Correct.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Milton Keynes have/did banned roof aerials, but (unsurprisingly) it's not enforced. There have been quite a few rulings from the early days which have since been broken like "no building should be higher then the highest tree".

If you can somehow get a Sky satellite dish fitted along with a decoder then you can get all the Freeview channels without having to subscribe to Sky.

Anyway, why on the one hand are you saying that there's "sweet FA" on Sky but yet you're trying hard to get the Freeview channels which are generally all a few leagues below sweet FA in quality?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Nope, that sounds about spot on. The bundle of channels is different (although there is an overlap)

Freeview ones here:

here:

John Rumm