Freesat and freeview through one box?

Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you? That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I can't see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you need that, btw?

Reply to
GB

Some of the Linux receivers will allow you to have both types of tuner. These are generally aimed at the German market and don't have T2 tuners

If you want T2, you could use a Nano USB stick

Whether you regard these as Freesat and Freeview is certainly debatable. They will certainly receive a picture though.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Is

what you're looking for?

If you mean satellite and Freeview tuners I put together a box a couple of months ago around a TBS 6982 satellite tuner card and basic PC components and am about to add a TBS 6280 Freeview card to it.

Reply to
rbel

As it happens this was mentioned in the CPC flyer that dropped on the door mat this morning:

AP02526 HD Satellite and Terrestial Receiver

AP02501 HD Satellite/Terrestial Combo Receiver

Note they are generic recievers so you won't have the Freesat and Freeview EPGs available.

A quick google on the makers model number showed them to be avialable from other suppliers, Amazon, Maplin etc. Shopping around for best price is probably required.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Panasonic TVs have both built into the TV, no boxes neccessary. I imagine others do as well.

There are lots of channels not on both freesat and freeview.

Reply to
harryagain

Not that I've seen, but i think Panasonic have tvs that do both. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

only one box under the TV

and perhaps more importantly:

only one remote

tim

Reply to
tim......

I have a box which does both. Made by Vision.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only one remote. Ah, bliss! :)

Reply to
GB

Could you be more specific, please? What is an example of such a "Linux receiver"?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Yep our Panasonic does, it sits on DSAT, better picture quality and more channels to skip through (not watch they are all in the main crap).

That depends on the Freeview service you have. ATM the only channels I can find on Freeview (just done a "new channel" search) here that aren't in the Freesat EPG are the soon to be launched BBC HD Freeview services (BBC Three HD, CBBC HD only, no sign of BBC Four HD or BBC News HD). The LNB feed to the telly is playing up so I'm not going to do a new channels scan on that...

All we have on Freeview are 26 TV channels (only 20 or so in reality when you take out the HD duplicates and a couple of +1's) and 11 BBC only national radio stations.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

See

I would suggest any of the receivers that Vix runs on.

The advantage of Vix is that there is good UK support.

The Vu+ products are well established. The Gigablue products are cheaper.

You need to be careful about Freeview HD as in the UK you need a Tuner that does DVB-T2

The PCTV Nano USB stick does DVB-T2 should work with these receivers - but I have not tried.

I should point out that Linux receivers whilst very flexible, do require what you might call advanced support. Daily operation is easy enough though.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I forgot

So it can be used with a TV that only has one "Scart In" connection (if such things still exist)

tim

Reply to
tim......

I use SCART still. The thing is that you can usually daisy-chain SCART devices. Most have an input as well as an output.

Reply to
GB

Is that the BT Vision box? If not please let me have the model number.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Depends what you mean by "combine the signal". It is perfectly possible to merge the signals from VHF, TV and Satellite onto a single high quality cable run it to where it is required and then split it off to three separate outputs.

High end Panasonic sets do it as standard.

Reply to
Martin Brown

What I would like is one box that received both freesat via the dish and Freeview via the aerial and feed the selected channel via one Scart lead to the TV.

Why? Because I have a good quality pre digital flat screen TV I want to wall mount in a guest bedroom with the minimum of cables, and remotes.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

No - came from CPC, and sorry, it is badged MVision. A quick look shows they no longer do it. It does HD from satellite, but only SD FreeView, and I'd not recommend it for anyone wanting a simple answer. Operating it is a bit clunky with poor EPGs too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)