Freesat aerial

Fredxx wrote: [snip]

Look up, I cited the source.

No, I'm not. They are referred to as satellite antennae[1] check out the Raytheon and Viasat sites if you don't believe me.

But please continue to argue, its mildly amusing to me.

[1] that's "aerial" to we Brits.
Reply to
Steve Firth

I have and it doesn't exist.

Yep - No mention of aerials in either of those two pages.

Reply to
Fredxx

Well I will say he and his firm are one of the best if not the most competent aerial installer firms in the UK and thats after tidying up after some of them myself over time;!...

And a very interesting website too!...

This ones quite impressive an installation for TV reception of a distant transmitter at one of the most powerful and well known transmitter sites in the country;)...

tony sayer

Don't call people "morons" just because they talk differently than you.

Reply to
Dave W

That's complete and utter bollocks.

Which bit of "aerial" is interchangeable with "antenna" do you not understand?

Oh look a fool who makes unmarked edits to quoted text.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't tell me what to call morons.

Reply to
Steve Firth

tony sayer wrote: [snip]

Had I wanted an aerial installer they may have been in the running - right up until someone proved he was a pompous bell-end. However all I wanted was an opinion about the wisdom of attaching an aerial to a downspout, not a lesson from someone about a subject I know enough about already. I built my first UHF aerial when I was 13 and I really don't want or need help with something as simple as pointing a satellite aerial at the sky. Or indeed the Sky.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then provide a link to an article by the IEEE that proves your assertion. I know you can't.

Only in your mind.

Yes my apologies, I should have made the correction more obvious.

Reply to
Fredxx

Nah, you'll wire it to a patress faceplate.

Reply to
Scott M

Are you suggesting that manufacturers of such items accurately produce paraboloids rather than part-spherical surfaces?

Reply to
Windmill

Any reason why they can't at least try to make proper parabolas?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

None whatsoever, they're made by pressing or otherwise making the dish follow the shape of a former, and it's no harder to make the dish the correct shape than the wrong one. It is slightly harder to make the former the right shape, as it requires the maker of it to give a d@mn....

Reply to
John Williamson

What gives you reason to think they are not, at least within the bounds of manufacturing accuracy?

Don't be put off by the diminutive size of the infamous "mini-dish", it is simply a section of a parabola,

Think of it like this. Make a 'proper' parabola. Put your LNB at the focus but 'point' it at a particular area of the curve surface. Cut the rest of the surface away. Tilt the new shape to improve the signal. You've now got an offset 'dish'.

The new dish isn't as efficient as the original but it is more compact, has less wind resistance, ....

The Sky 'mini-dish' can be prone to marginal signals, in particular problems with signals when it rains. We have problems with ours and plan to increase the dish size.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If you must, but I will have to stop you if you start calling it a "receptacle".

Reply to
Graham.

True, but as Ian Jackson pointed out "aerial" is, or at least was, also used in the USA.

Reply to
Graham.

From where I'm sitting it's you that is being pompous.

In spite of an awkward interchange of views, Bill was magnanimous enough to make a kind offer of free advice, I suspect it was triggered by you mentioning you lived in a listed building.

Bill once mentioned here, or perhaps I read it on his site, an extremely invective use of a waste pipe in an aerial installation. obvious once you see it, but most people wouldn't have thought of it.

Perhaps he had something similar up his sleeve? You will never know.

Perhaps you could disguise the aerial as your trademark tin of Birds custard?

Reply to
Graham.

Tony, we spent last week in this 16c Grade II place in Chatsworth.

Looks like there is a BTS and backhaul dish, a 5GHz link and a couple of VHF verticals. Possibly other stuff that you might know.

Graham.

In article , Graham. scribeth thus

Yes a wi-fi distro 2.4/5.8 system by the look of it with differing makes of equipment and differing ages of same. Yes it is possible with a bit of care to get an install on a historic listed building whatever, but its not done at standard Sky install rates;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Graham. scribeth thus

Well male for a plug and err .. female for a socket have always been easy to remember .. seems logical somewhere or 't the other;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

The government website uses the word "antenna" to include dishes.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL