freeing a stuck chuck (conventional, hammer drill)

Can't believe how hard cement render is on the inside of external walls - gotta get me one of those SDS drills!

In the meantime, the conventional hammer drill does get through it with a little effort. However, this time the chuck has jammed and I can't remove the 6mm drill bit that's in it.

The chuck itself is a decent keyless Rohm chuck, but one of the ones with the plastic cover on the outside (much prefer the knurled metal one on my cordless). There is a hex "nut" on the front to accept a spanner, and behind it the spline is flattened on each side so that a spanner can also be used.

I've never noticed before, but does the front nut on these turn when opening the chuck - ie so I can free the chuck using a spanner on this and one on the spline behind, or should I be emplying another method to free it?

Reply to
RichardS

I have no idea, suck it and see.

Otherwise hold the bit with a grips in your left hand and smack the chuck with the heel of your right.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Maybe running it backwards in percussion mode will shock it loose?

Reply to
Rob Morley