freecycle

stuff for free.

I'm managing to get rid of alot of 'Junk' this way.

-- zaax

Reply to
zaax

Its been around for ages, you been lurking in another newsgroup?

ps car boot sales if you want to get rid of you're junk or do it from home..ebay

-- Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's not bad. Unfortunately my local one (Canterbury) is full of freeloaders advertising for things like Apple Macs and powerful PCs; wants outnumber real adverts considerably.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That shouldn't happen .The one I'm in limits wants to 3 small items a month and you must offer something before wanting something . A few people are a bit unrealistic in their "wants" tho'

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Filter the messages into OFFERED, WANTED and TAKEN folders. That might sort out the wheat/wealth from the chaff/chavs.

Such a great concept that I'm just waiting for the Daily Mail to write a downer article on a kid/old lady/favourite pet killed by the freecycled washing machine, and JP to outlaw it all :-(

Each year I take great pleasure in attending a large amateur radio boot sale rally in Stockwood Park outside Luton (Next in May 14th 2006 - see ). At the end of previous years, a council supplied skip was filled with things the car booters couldn't sell, and a skip diving organised mob (including me) picked our spoils from it.

This year, Mr Prescott and co. has clamped down on the activity.

"NOTE DUE TO NEW HAZARDOUS WASTE REGULATIONS THERE WILL NOT BE A SKIP THIS YEAR - ALL YOUR UNSOLD AND SCRAP ITEMS MUST BE TAKEN OFF THE SITE."

Bugger....

Reply to
Adrian C

The message from Adrian C contains these words:

Like the one who posted "Wanted" for a mobile phone, preferrably slide-type with camera.

Reply to
Guy King

You must have lots of free time waiting in for the timewasters to arrive...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The moderator only really clamps down on people attempting to charge.

It did get better for a bit, after someone posted a spoof want ad for 'The Moon on a Stick'....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sadly the Leeds one was full of people wanting stuff free.

I have a huge amount of good things (not junk) for which I have no further need but I was barred because I offended someone by suggesting that the stated ethos of Freecycle was "changing the world one GIFT at a time", not getting free stuff.

There IS a difference.

Now it all has to go to land fill. I can't be bothered with e-bay.

Some will go to the charity shop but others would be seen as unusable and yet ... the first thing I gave away to a grateful recipient was a huge carrier bag full of used wine bottle corks. He had an excellent use for them, charity shops wouldn't.

So because of one sensitive complainant and an over-enthusiastic moderator lots of people will miss out.

Ah well ... it was nice while it lasted and I made a lot of like-minded friends.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher was thinking very hard :

Can you not just re-register under a different name?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I thought about that but it's Yahoo and my isp addie will be the same. The moderator will probably recognise it. I thought about asking one or more of the friends I've made to do proxy offers but it's dishonest, I should involve them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My experience so far in the Ipswich Freecyle group has been wholly positive, the people who have collected stuff have been universally grateful and haven't wasted any of my time.

Reply to
usenet

It will all still be left behind, just not in one large container...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would be interested if it didn't require joining a yahoo group.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Someone asked for a db8 on the Manchester group - but only to point out that being greedy was bad. I don't think they got offered one. ;-)

Reply to
mogga

So look for other freecycle groups near you.

I live in Telford, Shropshire so we have a Freecycle forum. There are five other groups covering a twenty mile radius. Make an offer, someone may be prepared to travel.

Dave

Reply to
someone here

If you read and send mail with a simple, text only, mail reader then I don't see any issue. I can't really see any difference between Yahoo mailing list and others that I belong to.

If you're really paranoid about the information that Yahoo keeps then use a dedicated 'throw-away' E-Mail address for subscribing to Yahoo groups.

Reply to
usenet

You need to diversify into australian hat-making :-)

"Crafty" things like that, primary schools might have been grateful for at one time, now though they're probably bound by so many regulations and fear of litigation or a tabloid newspaper story about "Little Wayne Drunk After School Cork Sniffing Session"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I doubt it - not really any harm in trying, is there?

Reply to
Rob Morley

What's the problem with that?

Reply to