Free delivery over £10

I think Toolsatan started this, but the concept seems to be spreading.

Supadrug now do it and so do Maplin.

Just ordered an aluminium step stool & a torch from Maplin, total £13:99 delivered free.

Dunno how they make any money doing it though. SF still stick with their £50 - which is why I don't order from them much.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In article , The Medway Handyman scribeth thus

I suppose it works on a quantity basis in that the order value is likely to be more that what we might think it to be i.e. the item for 13 odd quid. I reckon they could almost keep someone employed to do that if the volume was sufficient..

Idea!. Next time you get a delivery ask who he/she works for etc?..

In fact a lot of motor factors have their own delivery person/s well they do round these parts. I suppose when a garage needs a part they need it now and haven't got time to faff around leaving the job to go across town to get said part/s .. perhaps?..

Reply to
tony sayer
+1

Screwfux under kingfisher appear to be trying to re-fragment their market, doing the opposite of how they came into being. Plumbfux, electrifux etc al l with extra discount if you are 'trade' which given how steep their 'norma l' prices now seem to be, brings them back to where toolsatan pricing is fo r 'anybody'?? Go figure!

And the 'do you want fries with that' checkout upsell slows everyone down & pisses them off too...

Toolsatan is my first choice these days

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I'm amazed I ordered some items from ebay they get shipped form HongKong for free .... items wee less than £2

Reply to
Rick Hughes

And if you try the same from a US company you'll likely find the postage charges many times the cost of the item. So no surprise the US is in such decline.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AIUI for little things the universal postal union applies: the sender pays to get it to the UK from where Royal Mail has to deliver it "for free". All meant to be reciprocal and balance out. Probably did in days of empire with mostly letters going to and fro. But these days it means not much cost at their end (HK especially is a small place) and a hidden subsidy from Royal Mail's paying customers.

Reply to
Robin

In article , JimK scribeth thus

Likewise .. there a lot more helpful in our local Cambridge branch:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Yes there are something's I'd like to buy from there but carriage and import duties amount to more then the items worth a lot of the time.,.

Still they say it's the land of the free don't they;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Amazon seem to have caught onto the silly prices of that, quite a few small items now they'll batch up, presumably having them delivered to a US warehouse, then doing a big batch of US->UK shipments on their own back.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you can give them volume of deliveries, there's good discounts to be had from the couriers - much the same basis as trade outlet discounts.

Reply to
Scott M

They do. But it isn't. They just talk about it a lot.

Reply to
Huge

Garages have worked like this for many years. In fact they will often order the same part from more than one factor and use the one that arrives first. The duplicate parts will be collected with the next delivery.

Reply to
pcb1962

Except for tools. Most of their tools seem to be Silverline these days. I have never had a Silverline tool that is fit for purpose. Even the Silverline green garden refuse sack that I thought couldn't possibly go wrong split after the first use.

Reply to
Andrew May

I presume you take them back for a refund, then?

I'd also ask why you keep on buying this brand if you know it to be rubbish?

I've only got a couple of Silverline things. Both OK, considering the low price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes to the last couple of things. After that I have rejected them when they have brought them out and I have seen who they are made by. The rubbish sack it was just no worth the petrol to take it back.

Reply to
Andrew May

Thing with Silverline is you can't judge one product by the others. As they seem to source things from different makers. If they really were so bad as a whole would Screwfix really sell them? I'd certainly take any broken stuff back to them. Including refuse sacks if they were poor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)