Clot

VERY funny :-)

OOOoops..............

Reply to
Bill

Robbie.......

Reply to
Roberts

The Timms trap certainly kills cleanly. The animal is guaranteed to die in one hundredth of a second. If I use an apple for bait then it will only kill possums and rats. We have no foxes in NZ. However I assume that a bait for foxes would also attract cats.

Reply to
Matty F

Reminds me of, I think it was Hugh Pennington, on Desert Island Discs. At a quite young age, his parents were somewhat horrified to walk in and find him dissecting his pet hamster. He said to them that he found it was dead, and he wanted to look inside to see how it worked.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Can't see in detail how it works, but a cat is inquisitive enough to look inside even if there's nothing in there. You couldn't use it in the UK because it's not selective.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They seem to advocate them *for* killing feral cats.

Andy Burns

Round here poisoned vegetarian bait is used for rats, put in pipes. Cats are not attracted by it.

IIRC its not legal to poison foxes.

The gamekeepers use snares - wire snares - that don't harm the fox, which is then dispatched with the wrong end of a 12 bore.

example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

When my hamster croaked it, I was convinced it was hibernating (was the right time of the year, after all) and I stuck it in front of the living room gas fire to warm it back to activity. I don't think my Mum quite believed that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

are put on a branch about the ground, flightless birds won't be able to reach the trap. Other birds seem unaffected by the traps. Anything else that is caught in the trap is bound to be something that we don't want in the bush. Some people are unaware that NZ bush and birds evolved in the complete absence of mammals apart from a harmless bat.

Reply to
Matty F

I should ask our neighbour what he uses for gophers - whatever it is, it's not disagreed with our cats so far.

I dug up a trap with big chompy metal jaws a few months ago when making a new veggie patch - I think those are still perfectly legal over here and sold in the local farm-supply place.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson