foundations next to party wall

I will have to dig foundations next to a party wall, and I am sure I will have to dig deeper than the existing foundations. What is the usual method to ensure that the existing wall and soil under it does not collapse into my trench ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Do it in sections.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You'll probably be made to underpin it, this is achieved by digging underneath the footings and pouring concrete into it. As Chris says, it is almost always done in sections, IE; dig 3 feet, miss 3 feet, dig 3 feet....a few days later you'll have to do the patches inbetween. The building control chappy will want to see underneath prior to concreting.

Reply to
Phil L

He'll also probably want to see you using a vibrator. They're a bit like that.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Before you do anything else. Have you served a party wall notice on your neighbour?

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I have indeed. She debated whether it was a party wall (!) and we had to go and see her friend and a local builder before she was satisfied. I think she had a bad experience at a previous property. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

So what does the party wall surveyor say? He should be able to advise what is an appropriate way to do the work.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Party wall notice ain't compulsory. It just says foundations required near party wall etc. I'm imagining building control will offer sufficient guidance, as a previous poster suggested Neighbour hasn't asked for a party wall survey, and I'm not encouraging it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It is.

Details here

It just says foundations required near party wall etc.

They have no obligation to do so.

You are being very short sighted in ignoring the requirement. It coul mean your property will be difficult to sell in the future.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Can anyone else concurr that this in fact the case and Peter is correct ?

If so, I will take this more seriously.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The reason is that solicitors now get vendors to confirm, in writing, that all necessary permissions such as Planning Permission, Building Regulations approval , Party Wall notices etc. have been obtained and want sight of them. Without them most solicitors would strongly advise their clients not to buy. If you think about it then it makes sense because the buyer has more assurance that the property has been properly built. Personally I would see it as a positive selling point to be able to tell buyers right from the start before they even ask. Yes it can be a pain in the backside and cost a few quid but money well spent. If you don';t have the bits of paper when you come to sell it can cost you a lot more to regularise things. As far as the PWA isa concerned some Building Control officers will not sign the job off without the PWA paperwork.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

They actually want the vendor to confirm *to the best of his knowledge*. That's as it should be.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not any more! There was a court case a couple of years back and a vendor had to pay a large five figure sum to the buyer. He was able to recover this from his solicitor. Hence solicitors are ultra cautious. A statement "To the best of his knowledge" is quite worthless.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Am I right in thinking that a surveyor in this context can be anyone and they do not have to be qualified in any fashion? I knocked a hole in between two maisonettes a few years ago. My solicitor told me that I would have to get permission from the mortgagees from the upstairs flats and it would cost thousands. In fact I served a party wall notice on the 1 recalcitant owner who told me that i would have to pay for his solicitors. I refused and that was the end of that. In fact I used a qualified surveyor who also checked for cracks upstairs before as I felt that his indemnity insurance was worth having. I also used a structural engineer and got BC to approve it. Peace of mind worth 1k you see. HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

Am I right in thinking that a surveyor in this context can be anyone and they do not have to be qualified in any fashion? I knocked a hole in between two maisonettes a few years ago. My solicitor told me that I would have to get permission from the mortgagees from the upstairs flats and it would cost thousands. In fact I served a party wall notice on the 1 recalcitant owner who told me that i would have to pay for his solicitors. I refused and that was the end of that. In fact I used a qualified surveyor who also checked for cracks upstairs before as I felt that his indemnity insurance was worth having. I also used a structural engineer and got BC to approve it. Peace of mind worth 1k you see. HTH Phil

Reply to
nimbusjunk

The surveyor has to be acceptable to all parties. It would be very foolish to use an unqualified person who would also not have any liability insurance. The person having the work done is resposnsible for the fees of bith surveyors but not for the other party's solicitor.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Right. What paperwork would I need in the future in order to confirm that party wall matters have been sorted properly ? What paperwork would be needed for the BCO to sign off the job ?

Regarding a party wall surveyor, he cannot possibly give information of any use until the foundations are exposed anyway. And what exactly is a party wall surveyor ? Surely I would need a structural engineer.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The party wall info on the diydata link says that a surveyor need only be appointed if a dispute arises. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Update: I've spoken to my BCO, he says they are not interested in party wall notices, it is a civil matter. He said dig a trial hole and they will advise what action is needed (underpinning etc). Also, since the party wall notice is done in advance, it cannot contain all the ins and outs of the precise work done. And no survey is required unless to resolve a dispute. So I believe what I have done is OK. Just a party wall notice detailing the basic work, which the neighbour has said they will sign. Now if they don't, that's another matter. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson