Foundations for garage

We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick the outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the same depth

Garry

Reply to
Garry

endered wall. We have Building Control for this.

the outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the = same depth

I added an new internal skin to form a cavity wall as part of an extension.= However, the new foundation was deeper the the one running alongside, and = the BCO wanted me to "overpour" the old foundation, so I guess the two were= effectively locked together. Only a few inches overpour was required. Howe= ver my new foundation was a couple of feet lower !

So it might be a good idea to do something that locks the two together.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Short answer - ask your BCO. Ours are generally very helpful and once you've paid the upfront charge they will come out as many times as you like to look at stuff and tell you what is O.K. by them.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Thanks for all the answers, I was thinking of sticking some 1/2 inch rebar into the old foundation and then pouring the concrete in to a few inches above the old concrete strip. Hopefully the rebar would look the concrete together.

What do you think.

Garry

Reply to
Garry

rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the same depth

Firstly, why do you need to? You can generally dry-line the inside with a stud wall & insulation, and unless you are altering the structure, you don't need to increase the foundations.

If you don't want to dry-line the inside (maybe you need the space), then building an external leaf onto an existing wall to create a cavity wall is a difficult way to go, irrespective of the foundations.

The foundations would need to be widened, usually by digging slightly below & under the the existing. This would need to be done in sections, similar to underpinning.

The new outer leaf would need to be tied to the inner leaf, with ties screwed in, and insulation installed. Any door or window openings will need lintels over, which may need to be changed.

How will the roof be altered? Is there enough overhang to encompass an increase of ~200mm in the wall thickness?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula