Foundations

Are there any websites out there that detail how foundations should be laid to building regs standards.

I am contemplating doing my own foundations, rather than getting a builder in to save some cost.... **Only contemplating before i get flamed on high ok!!**

I realise that there is an awful lot more to it than digging holes and pouring concrete. I'd just like to understand the various stages - i.e. digging the trenches, passing sewerage pipes and other services through the trench, levels, damp proof, insulation, floor laying etc.

Any thoughts!

Reply to
QueGee

Perhaps you should sign up at the OU for a foundation course.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

This should help a bit:

BigWallop

And this is also a very interesting read:

BigWallop

This might also give a few pointers:

this:

BigWallop

Well, first off to comply with building regs you need to get approval from teh building regs man. The depth is the thing, as depebnidning on soil type, locality of trees, it can vary a lot - in my case from 2.5m deep to just over 800mm. On the one house...

The conventional way to do things is to leave the foundations low, run soil pipes and water and gas pipes from inside to outside above the concrete level, and brick up a few courses from there to damp proof level, which would be about 2 bricks above final ground level. Its a lot easier to build teh house higher than teh ground, and fill in afterwards, than too low.

Derpening again onn soil type. you wither used hardcore and screed, a DPM and more screed to build internal floors, or build a suspended floor over a ventilated air gap. Usually concrete block and beam. With insulation DPM and screed on top for final floor level.

None of it is rocket science, but do get your soil pipe layouts done earlier rather than later, especailly if you want soil stacks INSIDE the walls. These need to be put in pretty much as you build the walls.

Laying concrete is the most god awful job as well. Dirty heavy manual labour. Only hand digging trenches is worse. Get a digger in, and a few blokes to help spread the concrete as the mixer trucks arrive. Try and get it accurate and level too :) Otherwise the brickie will moan more than usual trying to get the first course level.

In special cases, you may need to line the trench with compressible material to allow soil movment. Fix this SOLIDLY cos it floats in wet cement...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It depends on the way you want to go ... strip, deep fill, raft, piling, mini-piles etc.

Which type is often dictated by soil conditions (and load)

There are loads of books on this - get some and read up. The most simplest you can go for are strip foundations, typically dig till you reach clay .... 150mm depth concrete, and build up to ground level with blocks.

Make sure you allow for all services .

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thanks Big Wallop!