Found a low-cost alternative buying the wiring regs.

The wiring reg's don't just cover dwellings, you get showers and baths on industrial properties.

This is what I mean, they would have been better in updating the regs every ten years, so in 2001 the IEE should have changed to the 17th edition. Then this would have meant those with old books and training would have HAD TO update their knowledge, and attend the relivant City and Guilds course. But at the moment there is nothing to force them to do so.

I did in the City and Guild 2391 inspection and testing course a couple of years ago and bought the Blue book. For the first couple of days of the course we did a update on the 16th edition where they went over the amendments and introduction to the BS7671 standard, but alot of electricians have not done such an update and never will until they are required to do so, as there is nothing writen down to make them, or their employer update their knowledge, and that is just as important as updating the handbook with all the amendments.

But Part P only applies to domestic properties, not commercial, public or indutrial properties and installations, and those are the areas were most electricians work, and alot of them have done the 16th edition under the red, green books.

The only laws which apply to non dwellings is the Electricity at Work Act and the Health and Safety at Work act, and the IEE regs ARE NOT LAW unless written into contract.

John

+ VAT!

(Does at least contain all the guidance notes and an OSG... I think for that money I would like it gold plated though!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, how the hell do the IEE expect anyone to find that!

Going to the IEE shop and using the dropdown box for wiring regulations brings up nothing other than books, searching on 7671 gives you the same, and searching on cdrom gives precisely nothing.

But for 395 quid I'll definitively give it a miss, preferring not to line their pockets - mainly for not being competent enough to provide an electronic copy via British Standards - just like EVERY other BS appointed committee does.

The ridiculous footer on their pages really takes the biscuit. "The Institution of Electrical Engineers is a not for profit organisation"

- truly amazing that they could manage to not make a profit on a standard that via normal BS subscriptions would be 30 quid in electronic form.

Wankers, the lot of them, wonder how long it will be before the tosspots at CORGI join them in taking control of the relevant gas standards?

Reply to
anc

Ah, do a search for BS7671 on the main home page, and select the wiring regs page from the results. The CD ROM is listed about half way down.

(perhaps even they are too embarresed to promote it more!)

Indeed. In fact givent the production cost of the CD will be a fraction of that for the book it ought to be cheaper...

Just shows how daft things like Part P are. If you want to make an improvent to safety accross the board, why not make all the standards documents they would like you to comply with available for free download?

Reply to
John Rumm