Found a low-cost alternative buying the wiring regs.

I found an Ebay seller who is sending out CD's with the BS 7671 on them for a nominal cost.

Eventually (perhaps never) this person will be shutdown by the BSI or IEE.

However if any of you are wanting more than the on-site guide, perhaps to join one of the Prat-P schemes. You may find this useful.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I've looked at these and never been quite sure what I'd be getting - some hint that they're more like a set of PowerPoint lecture notes. Some also include printable Part P forms, and some also claim to offer totality of human knowledge (building).

So what exactly _do_ you get? Proper .pdf files? Scans of pages?

Anyone recommend a particular seller? Or are they easy to find for download?

I will promise to try my best to contain the bleeding of my heart at the loss of revenue for the BSI: I hate these quasi-taxes - government-backed compulsion to pay ridiculous fees to their buddies (MoTs, building regs applications, planning permission fees, local land searches, passport fees, etc)

Reply to
Autolycus

And now, 'effing ID Cards!!!!!

Reply to
Steve Walker

You don't directly pay for them.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I would not be supprised to find it is simply the same collection of "stuff" that also floats about the file trading networks posing as the IEE regs. In reality you often get PDFs of the three books by Brian Scadden (which are certainly worth having - but not the same as the regs themselves), plus loads of other filler content - some of which is ok, some of which is of the level: DIY gas fitting "Its illegal don't do it".

The actual official IEE wiring regs CD would probably be quite usefull - but I am sure I am not the only one who questions if it is worth 350 quid, especially when the dead tree version is only 46!

Reply to
John Rumm

That makes it even worse.

Then the government can add its mark up to cover the bureaucratic inefficiency.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've not got it yet. I see that the feedback from other buyers is that it does have 7672 scanned and pdf'd. Since the cheapest I can get 7671 for is £300+ this seems like a deal to.

I know it's going to upset the IEE/BSI and one day they may have a go for the Ebayer.

Anyway 7671 is one of the costs of getting into an electric guild. So the cheaper the better IMHO.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have not found the dead tree version for so little.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Um, it's £46 new from Amazon. And even if you buy it from BSI as a British Standard, they only charge twice what everyone else charges. ;-) I buy about every alternate reprint of it.

Which reminds me, I bought a copy of it and the On-Site Guide about 5 years ago, when I was ordering some O'Reilly books from Amazon, one of which was their "Managing Usenet" book. About a year later, I recommended the O'Reilly Usenet book to a colleague in the office. He went to order it from Amazon and nearly fell off his chair laughing. Amazon had come back with "Customers who bought this book also bought the IEE Wiring Regulations, and the On-Site Guide" and he instantly knew this must refer to me. It was a good job I hadn't bought anything more embarassing too ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Surely the IEE Regs is a lot less than that - are you looking at the ring-bound version? Or has there been galloping regs-inflation since Part P?

If you ever get inspected by the electric guild and asked to show them your technical library, do you think the inspector will be impressed by a pirate CDROM?

And what about the liability issues if you ever have to defend your work, eg if there is a house fire in which someone dies (whether or not such fire was caused by your wiring) and it is known that you did some wirign in the house the week before - any defence of due diligence would fall to pieces if you had to stand up in court and admit that you knowingly used a pirate copy of the Regs off Ebay.

If things are that bad perhaps we could have a whip-round for a copy for you.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Using Windows XP" for example :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

The NICEIC (at least, don't know about ELECSA, ECA etc.) supply you with a whole wadge of books if you are applying for their Domestic Installer Scheme; 7671, OSG, NICEIC/ECA "Electrical Installers' Guide to the Building Regulations", NICEIC "Inspection, Testing and Certification" guide, printed copy of Part P, two HSE publications about Electricity at Work Regulations and loads of other minor bits of paper. So in theory, unless you need to bone up, there's no need actually to buy a copy of the regs if you are intending to pay through the nose to become registered anyway.

And the version supplied is the £46 perfect-bound edition :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

There you go, with free delivery as well ;-))

John Rumm

A quick search on Emule reveals the 16th Edition IEE wiring regs PDF file if that's what you're after.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

There is also this:

this:
for reference.

And this guide on the

website:
can help.

Reply to
BigWallop

Have you actually confirmed if this is the real thing?

I have a dead tree version, so have no pressing need for an electronic one (especialy if it is just scanned - the official CD is fully cross referenced and hyperlinked). However I did eDonkey a few of the files that claimed to be "the regs" out of curiosity. Nothing was at the time the "real thing" (that was a few months back - so it may have changed since).

Reply to
John Rumm

WHICH official CD? It is one of only a very few modern British Standards that aren't available electronically from BSI, nor from the IEE.

the BSI website just now (as a subscriber to virtually all their standards)

"Standard Number: BS 7671:2001 Title: Requirements for electrical installations. IEE Wiring Regulations. Sixteenth edition Availability: Hardcopy Only Status: Current Publication Date: 2001/06/01

Notes: BSI regrets that we are unable to provide BS 7671 as part of modules 17 and 50 due to copyright restrictions making the electronic document unavailable from IEE. Please contact Customer Services on 020

8996 9001 to order your paper copy. "
Reply to
anc

He was referring to the CD-ROM edition, the latest version of which is priced at a modest GBP 395 (+VAT). (That price does include all the guidance notes and the codes of practice, but even so...)

Reply to
Andy Wade

If the IEE, wasn't constantly bringing out new books, for the odd minor adjustment to a few regulations, then there wouldn't really be a problem. I still have a red book, and also a blue book which both still say 16th edition on the front, and both are technically still valid as are any City and Guild certificates done ten years ago under the red book.

John

Surely they're only actually valid if you have downloaded, printed and cross-referenced the (several) amendments since then? The blue book had the very nice table 4D5A which previous ones didn't, and the brown book introduces several new regulations concerning harmonised colours, among other things. Didn't blue also introduce bathroom zoning? Without following these amendments, can you be sure that your work complies with BS7671, as the version to comply with is the one current when the work is undertaken.

According to the list in the front of the brown book (BS7671:2001(2004)) these are the versions of the "sixteenth edition" that there have been:

1991: original issue (Red) 1992: minor corrections (red) 1994: amendment 1 (green) 1997: amendment 2 (yellow) 2000: amendment 3 2001: new issue (blue) 2002: amendment 1 2004: amendment 2 (brown)

I make that two issues and a total of five amendments. Quite a lot has changed since 1991.

Quite possibly, though in this case it is probably assumed that anyone practising electrically will keep themselves reasonably up-to-date. Anyone who did such a qualification 10 years ago and hopes to begin work now *without* getting up to date will have a difficult time registering under Part P ;-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove