Foulwater drains: tightest bend a drain rod can negotiate?

They will go round a 90 degree swept bend, but not usually an elbow.

Reply to
John Rumm

If in doubt stick a Y and a rodding eye into any run that you can't be sure of being able to get to from the end.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've always managed with a garden hose but the pressure washer sounds like a big improvement over rods

Reply to
stuart noble

/I picked one up from Lidl a few months ago on the basis that it looked like it might be too useful to pass by. A couple of weeks later, needed it to clean the kitchen sink waste pipe, which over 20 years or so had reduced diameter with thick gunk. Did a fantastic job./q

Interesting. What make pressure washer do you have or lOW, which makes will it fit?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It is.

A hose is ok for relatively easily dislodged stuff, but it would have made no impact on my 'fatberg'

Reply to
Chris French

It's an old Lavorwash Deltajet. Bought from Woolworths 15 years ago.

The coupler on the Lidl drain cleaner is a bayonet fitting, which is the same as a coupler halfway up the lance where you take the jet off and attach a brush instead. I guess it's probably some type of pressure washer standard - was pleasantly surprised when it just plugged in with no faffing around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was thinking that last night but a quick google didn't reveal anything that I'd consider a "swept bend" ie something with a radius

Even with a proper swept bend I'd be dubious about shoving rods past it. Better to have straight runs between inspection chambers IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chris French wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@familyfrench.co.uk:

...or a securely-lodged incontinence pad...

Reply to
AL_n

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I seem to have two options regarding a gentler 90-degree bend:

1)

and even more gradual 90 bend:

2)

I could use either of the above. The first one, above (the tighter of the two) would make life simpler, as the whole drain is going to be close to the surface, covered with a line of slabs. It would be difficult cover the gentler of the two bends with slabs.

The other option would be to use a mini-manhole somewhere after the bend... but it would have to be a tiny manhole. (A 500mm dia one would be too obtrusive for this particular job. Has anyone seen a really tiny manhole available anywhere?

Many thanks..

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

Phil K wrote in news:XnsA484BC428C099777777@130.133.4.11:

PS...

I found this 250mm manhole & cover:

That's still quite expensive and also an eyesore on the surface. Would it be allowable to simply have one of the following junction fittings in the pipe run, with the branch pointing upward with a plug in it?

Admittedly it would only allow rodding on one direction, but that's all I need, as the other stretch can be rodded from an existing manhole.

Or would a building inspecter throw a fit?

Thanks..

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

That's what I would call a proper swept bend.

Rodding access? With a T and 45 bend. T used to turn the corner flow into the branch and outlet from spigot end, socket takes spigot of the 45 degree bend and rodding point spigot into socket of 45 degree bend.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

PPS. This looks ideal:

(if indeed, I need a rodding point after using a large-radius bend such as:
or

PhilK

Reply to
Phil K

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

That's clever! Thanks for this solution.

I'd like to make a wide-radius 45-degree bend (for another part of this same drainage job). Can I saw a portion off a 90-degree swept bend? Will the sawn end fit into a standard socket? (I'm not sure if it would work, as the sawn end would not be dead straight and possibly not dead circular. I have a vague idea I did this once, many years ago, but I may be wrong.

Cheers, PhilK

Reply to
Phil K