Forstner bit

Just purchased a set of five from Screwfix (Erbauer). They look very nice.

Got to cut a flatpack (Been & Queued) kitchen unit down from 600mm deep to about 450mm and want to make nice new neat holes for the cam-lock fittings and also preserve the bits.

What speed should I use for the 15mm bit? Standard kitchen carcass... melamine veneered chipboard. I will be using a drill-press.

Loads of info on Google about Forstner bits in general but nowt about speeds.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

B&Q sell a hole cutter specifically for this. Dunno if it's the same thing.

Mine is permanently on minimum speed - 500 rpm - and worked fine doing the same into cut down MDF doors. Obviously set the depth stop to the correct amount.

Perhaps it's just me, but for most things there's not really too slow a speed - only too fast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure... our B&Q is useless. Had to go to one of their superstores to get the kitchen off the shelf after the local goons thought it could take 8 weeks to order from them :-(

Yep, I think that a lower speed is called for initially but I was worried that a too low speed might leave ragged edges around the cut through the melamine. Not that it matters really as the holes will be out of sight to the tenant and only I will know... OK on the depth stop ;-)

I think that you are right in general but routers spin very fast to achieve a good finish.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Steve

what they dont sell however is a 55mm diam hole cutter for the lights they sell for their kitchen cupboards. Instructions clearly state cut hole 55mm but B&Q dont provide a cutter this size, DOH!

Reply to
Vass

Don't know if this would help, might give you a rough idea?

The Medway Handyman

Yes it does!

Excellent. Thanks Dave.

Steve