Formable plastic plumbing pipe on Discovery H&L

I think it was 'on site story', and they were laying underfloor heating pipes. I was interested to note that the plastic pipe was formable, i.e. the guy bend it round his foot and it stayed there! After just plumbing in my new hot and cold water tanks with 22mm speedfit pipe I realise the benefits of the pipe staying where you put it. Don't get me wrong, I found speedfit superb for getting through the tight confines of my loft without having to bend and rebend copper, and despite the worries of some traditional plumbers, I love the connectors too. But moldable pipe - that would have been better. The speedfit has 'memory' in that it wants to return to the coil it came in - and you end up wrestling it.

Anyone know what this plastic pipe is? Is it only for underfloor? I have CH to fit next year, and it's worth me knowing.

TIA

Greg

Reply to
Nightdrive

The shorter straight lengths of Speedfit pipe will bend in a normal pipe bender. They have some memory so you have to bend a bit further to allow for the spring back. So far I haven't used the stuff in a coil so I don't know if this behaves the same.

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

The stuff in a coil behaves as if posessed by demons, and should be avoided by all (unless you have special powers or something).

Reply to
Grunff

Haha, I just found that out... :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

Then use copper and brass push-fit joints. Using straight rigid lengths of Speedfit is not different to using copper. Copper is far cheaper and you can use brass push-fit or plastic fittings.

Reply to
IMM

When doing a straight 3m run, yes, copper. But the straight lengths of pushfit can still be snaked around (more easily than the coils in fact), so they still save on elbows.

Reply to
Grunff

That should of course read "straight lengths of speedfit can still"

Reply to
Grunff

I wonder if this explains why, on a nearby building site, the usual non-working hours anti-theft precaution of dangling things like generators 100ft in the air on a crane was embellished recently by having 4 very long lengths of plastic pipe between generators etc and the crane hooks. Decoiling it?

Reply to
Peter Parry

So, basically, no-one can answer my question then!!!

Reply to
Nightdrive

Now why didn't I think of that?

Reply to
Grunff

I certainly would not use that pipe on a water system afterwards.

Reply to
IMM

Probably Santoprene underfloor pipe.

Reply to
IMM

Distributed by Unipipe(.co.uk) Continental-UFH(.com) in Devon use and supply this.

" the latest multi layer pipe constructed from cross-linked polyethylene (PE-Xc) sandwiching a layer of aluminium. This provides supreme strength and is guaranteed to be 100% oxygen impermeable, unlike PEX or PB pipe. It is quick and easy to fit because it holds it shape when bent. "

Thicker walls means it's more a proprietary system than regular push fit stuff.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby