For those with an electronic bent ....

... who can't remember all the formulas and how to read resistors with 6 bands, and need to know the forward voltages of LEDs and can never remember the connections to an LM317, or the formula to calculate the resistor values, or the configuration of an RC tone stack filter and and and ...

RS Toolkit. New app for iPad and iPhone. Free, and very good !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

And little prospect of an Android version, unfortunately.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Saturday 21 December 2013 01:46 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Android has 81% market share for new devices shipped:

and yet companies persist in releasing iPhone apps first!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Arfa Daily was thinking very hard :

Have you a link for this?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you have a link please Arfa? I searched on the RS site and drew a blank and iTunes store does not seem to have a toolkit attributed to RS although there are a couple of others from here

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob Eager

Fourth FAQ down....

Reply to
Bob Eager

There is, however, this:

and a paid-for (very cheap) Pro version...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I remember coding all that stuff for myzx81, of course with no colour, you had to name the colours instead.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Could it not be written with a compiler that can run under Android OS then?

Its hardly rocket science. all the calculations are readily available and one should be able to transfer them to a computer program reasonably easily. it might not look pretty, but does that really matter? Could not do it now with no sight, but as I say did it years back, and each one would run in 1k of memory! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Colour coding? "Black boys rape our young girls but violet gives willingly." - they don't make mneumonics like that any more! ;-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I always challenge companies about this when I see it. The last one I questioned, an investment/portfolio management company, told me that iPhone/iPad users are much wealthier than Android users. So I promptly closed my account.

Reply to
pcb1962

And they certainly didn't in my day, it was the (also non-PC but less offensive) "Black boy Roy offers you gin but prefers good whisky". Learned that 44 years ago, anyone know what they teach now?

Reply to
pcb1962

Well, I guess iPhone/iPad users do have a higher money/sense ratio than the rest of us, and companies are rather keen on potential customers like that.

Reply to
Clive Page

Reply to
Bob Eager

And I'd say among techies, who are presumably the target audience for this app, the Android:iOS ratio is about 3 or 4 to 1

Reply to
Andy Burns

Arfa Daily used his keyboard to write :

Thanks, I have got it now..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

But the management type who authorised the project to produce the app...

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Quite, in my sector the people who have to know how things work and be expected to do some first line maintenace are pretty much all using Android based devices. Those that just plug it in and switch it on and if it doesn't work pass the buck to others are mostly on iThingies and think that the best thing since sliced bread is an overlay of an aniamted missile blowing up the still image of their mate...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice